Federal Inter-Agency Work Group on Child Abuse & Neglect
About the Work Group
The amendments to the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) of 1988 created a Federal Inter-Agency Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect. The Task Force consisted of approximately 30 member agencies drawn from the eight Cabinet Departments and the Office of Personnel Management. The Director of the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect (NCCAN) was the statutory chairperson of the Task Force.
When the 1996 CAPTA amendments created an Office on Child Abuse and Neglect, replacing the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect (NCCAN), it also eliminated the requirement for a Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect.
However, the existing Task Force members agreed that it was important to maintain the connections and to continue their work. The name was changed to Federal Interagency Work Group on Child Abuse and Neglect as Task Forces have specific meanings and requirements under Federal law.
Since 1996, the Office on Child Abuse and Neglect has continued to lead and coordinate the Federal Interagency Workgroup on Child Abuse and Neglect (FEDIAWG). Over 40 Federal agencies are represented. The FEDIAWG meets in-person on a quarterly basis and various Subcommittees meet on a more regular basis via conference calls. The overall goals of the FEDIAWG are:
- To provide a forum through which staff from relevant Federal agencies can communicate and exchange ideas concerning child maltreatment related programs and activities;
- To collect information about Federal child maltreatment activities; and
- To provide a basis for collective action through which funding and resources can be maximized.
There are three Subcommittees and related workgroups:
Domestic Violence Subcommittee
Research Subcommittee: NIH Child Abuse and Neglect Working Group
- Children's Bureau 20th National Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect
"Building Community, Building Hope"
August 31 to September 2, 2016
For more information contact: 2016NCCAN@impaqint.com
Visit the website: http://www.2016nccan.com/
View the Prevention Subcommittee past webinars related to child abuse and neglect prevention and related issues. For more information contact Sharon McKinley.
Below are scheduled meeting dates:
- Tuesday, October 25, 2017
- Tuesday, January 24, 2017
- Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Meetings are held from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Department of Health and Human Services, Mary E. Switzer Building, 330 C. Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20201.
The following Departments and their subsequent Program Offices are members of the Interagency Workgroup:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness