OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2016 Policy Documents
- ‹ Previous Year
- Next Year ›
- November 30, 2016Notification of materials available for Module 1: Overview of 2007 Hague Child Support ConventionNovember 4, 2016Provides information on fiscal year 2017 user fees for FPLS and CSENetOctober 27, 2016Announces public comment period for the OCSE-157 Annual Data Report formOctober 24, 2016To remind tribes to submit the OCSE-75 Tribal Annual Data Report by December 29October 4, 2016Request for comments on revised Income Withholding Order/Notice for Support (IWO) Form & InstructionsOctober 3, 2016Announces open comment period for the PRA burden estimate of the Hague Convention case processing forms
2016 Open Comment Period – Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment and Required Data Elements for AffidavitsOctober 3, 2016Requests comments on Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity and Required Data Elements for Paternity AffidavitsSeptember 29, 2016Provides data submission requirements for the FY 2016 data reliability audits (DRAs)September 26, 2016Provides states with Federal Offset and Pre-Offset Notice program fees for fiscal year 2017September 26, 2016Announces the IRS is conducting out of cycle safeguard reviewsSeptember 22, 2016Reminder to states on the importance of timely submission of the OCSE-157 Annual Data Report by October 30, 2016September 22, 2016Announces updated Tax Information Security Guidelines of IRS Publication 1075, effective September 30, 2016September 19, 2016Announces updated expiration date for federally approved NMSN Part A and Part B formsSeptember 12, 2016Notification of a National Center for State Courts report focused on strategies to streamline judicial processesSeptember 7, 2016Announces Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act regulations to provide training and career services under titles I & IIISeptember 1, 2016The Hague Convention will go into effect in the U.S. approximately four months after the instrument of ratification is depositedAugust 30, 2016The President signed the Instrument of Ratification for the international Hague Child Support ConventionAugust 25, 2016Provides states with Annual Certification Letter to be completed and returnedAugust 18, 2016Notification of new procedures and options for sending child support payments to NorwayAugust 5, 2016Announces open comment period for OCSE-75 formJuly 29, 2016Provides information on enhancements to the FPLS implemented in Release 16-01July 26, 2016Provides self-assessment tool and answers to frequently asked questions about FPLS access for tribal agenciesJune 7, 2016Provides Federal Register notice of the Open Comment Period for Administrative Subpoena and Notice of LienJune 2, 2016Resource guide on the 2008 amendments to UIFSA for state caseworkers and attorneysMay 27, 2016Provides information on the uniform guidance for tribal programsMay 20, 2016Reauthorization of the plan provides an opportunity to consider comments on the Tribal Direct Funding activityMay 5, 2016Announces the development of a Tribal Child Support Budget ToolboxApril 18, 2016Data and information represent a preliminary assessment of the program's progress towards goals and objectivesApril 15, 2016Provides guidance regarding allowable withholding when the noncustodial parent is paid weekly or biweeklyApril 8, 2016Announces the National Child Support Strategic Plan for FFY 2015-2019March 21, 2016DOJ resources to reform practices for assessing ability to pay as part of enforcement efforts to collect fees and finesMarch 9, 2016Provides timeframe guidance on distributing tax offsets referred for fraudMarch 8, 2016Extends the self-assessment reporting form until February 28, 2019March 4, 2016Provides answers to frequently asked questions about the state plan systemMarch 4, 2016Reminds states about the governor’s review requirement and submitting state plan amendmentsMarch 3, 2016Reminds tribes of the requirement for quadrennial reviews of the child support guidelinesMarch 2, 2016Provides states with 2016 Annual Certification Letter to be completed and returnedFebruary 22, 2016Process for tribal child support programs to access the Federal Parent Locator ServiceFebruary 10, 2016OCSE published Notice 81 FR 3147 on January 20, 2016 to synchronize the expiration date only for Part AFebruary 5, 2016FCRA was amended to allow IV-D to send VOE requests directly to third-party providers without sending notice to the NCPLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016