OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1977 Policy Documents
- December 9, 1977Requests for proposals/support services for the procurement of automated child support enforcement information systemsNovember 3, 1977FFP for the reimbursement of state agencies providing address information to state parent locator servicesOctober 27, 1977Information on P.L. 94-455 which permits the disclosure of tax information to child support agenciesOctober 19, 1977Changes the rate of incentive payments made to States and political subdivisions to a flat 15 percent rateJuly 28, 1977Clarifies the distinction between public and privately-owned buildings in costs allowable for FFPJune 15, 1977Permits State agencies owing federal funds to repay by installments over a period up to 3 yearsJune 1, 1977Final rule amendment permits states to submit claims for FFP at any time after close of a fiscal yearMarch 1, 1977Revision to AT-76-23 regarding allocation of incentive payments among jurisdictionsFebruary 8, 1977Specifies procedures for disallowance, deferral and reconsideration of claims for FFP applicable to IV-DJanuary 28, 1977Guidance for documenting costs of IV-D services purchased from public agencies or through cooperative agreementsJanuary 4, 1977State employment offices to provide specified information to the state child support program