OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1985 Policy Documents
- December 13, 1985Medicaid guidance to states regarding cooperation with child support, third party liability, and FFP ratesDecember 11, 1985Provides corrections to the Child Support Enforcement program final audit regulations published October 1, 1985October 21, 1985Amends child support program requirements governing medical support enforcement activitiesOctober 1, 1985Final regulation that amends the Child Support Enforcement program audit and penalty provisions, effective October 1, 1985September 18, 1985IV-A and IV-D procedures for handling assigned support payments received directly and retained by AFDC recipientsAugust 21, 1985Lists revisions and corrections to the Final Rule implementing the Child Support Enforcement Amendments of 1984July 9, 1985Revisions to the State plan preprint pages and instructions reflecting the changes made by the CSE Amendments of 1984June 8, 1985Final regulations that amend Railroad Retirement Board regulations to provide for garnishment of benefits paid by the BoardJune 6, 1985Request for comments on the Interim Final Regulation for Civial Service Retirement Spouse Equity Act of 1984May 9, 1985Implements requirements for availability of services, enforcement techniques, and program administration and financingMay 3, 1985Instructions to request exemptions from mandatory laws/procedures in 466 of the SSA to improve effectiveneness in statesApril 5, 1985Implementation of revisions to four federal financial reporting forms in response to recent legislationApril 2, 1985New and revised Title IV-D state plan preprint pages 2.2, 2.4, 2.11 and 3.8March 6, 1985Guidance on direct payments to a former spouse from the retired pay of members of the Uniformed ServicesLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016