OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1988 Policy Documents
Revised Instructions for Requesting an Exemption from the Mandatory Laws and Procedures in Section 466 (1988)December 22, 1988Establishes revised procedures States must follow when applying for an exemption and supersedes AT-86-08December 6, 1988Final rule on federal income tax refund offsetNovember 18, 1988Family Support Act of 1988 - Provisions regarding $50 Disregard Payment, Paternity Establishment, and FFPOctober 19, 1988NPRM - Cooperative arrangements between IV-D agencies and courts and law enforcement officialsSeptember 26, 1988Final rule on medical support enforcementSeptember 23, 1988Correcting a technical error in the effective date in AT-88-11August 23, 1988Corrections to the Final Rule - Provision of Services in Interstate IV-D Cases (AT-88-02)July 1, 1988Final regulations revise the disregard of child support payment regulations at 45 CFR Parts 302 and 303June 17, 1988Allows a state to prorate certain planning and development costs for purposes of calculating incentive paymentsMay 9, 1988Revises State plan preprint page 2.6, entitled Provision of Services in Interstate IV-D CasesMay 5, 1988Provides the standard for evaluating paternity establishment beginning with audits conducted for FY1988April 19, 1988Provides instructions for Completing Form OCSE- Local 2 - Statistical ReportApril 8, 1988Requires agencies to provide notice and continue to provide CSE services to persons no longer eligible for AFDCApril 4, 1988Alerts states that OCSE will charge interest on disallowed claims for FFPMarch 1, 1988Clarifies the responsibilities of initiating and responding States in referring and processing interstate IV-D casesJanuary 20, 1988Regulations on removing the requirement for prior HHS approval of data processing service agreementsJanuary 6, 1988Instructions for submitting requests and processing responses for Project 1099Last Reviewed: July 26, 2016