OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1990 Policy Documents
- December 19, 1990Requires reimbursement from States for the use of FPLS for cases with no required assignment of support to the StateNovember 19, 1990Includes two State plan preprint pages on review and modification of child support obligations and income withholdingNovember 8, 1990Procedures applicable to lobbying for State agencies receiving non-discretionary awardsNovember 2, 1990Instructions provide clarification and guidance for completing the OCSE-156 and OCSE-158 formsOctober 9, 1990Addresses misunderstood areas of automated system projects and clarifies frequently encountered problemsOctober 1, 1990Interim guidance on APD requirements for State Child Support Agencies to meet State plan requirementsSeptember 28, 1990NPRM on consent by the United States to garnishment and similar proceedings for enforcement of child support and alimonyAugust 29, 1990Clarification of treatment of interest earned from non-AFDC collectionsAugust 17, 1990NPRM on immediate wage withholding for non IV-D cases, review and modification, and notice of assigned support collectedJuly 6, 1990Technical amendments to standards for processing child support enforcement cases and the time frames for distributionMay 24, 1990Clarifies Federal laws governing reporting child support obligors to credit reporting agencies
Final Rule: $50 Pass-through; Support Guidelines; Mandatory Genetic Testing; Paternity EstablishmentMay 16, 1990Final Rule on pass through, guidelines, paternity establishment and FFP for genetic testingMay 4, 1990Obtaining SSNs during the birth registration process for child support and paternity purposesMarch 26, 1990Regulations governing audits of State IV-D programs and penalties for failure to comply with requirementsMarch 1, 1990Announcement of the automated IRG that enables changes as needed so States will have accurate address and telephone informationFebruary 15, 1990Final rule amends regulations concerning the processing of garnishment orders for child support and/or alimonyLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016