OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1991 Policy Documents
- December 4, 1991NPRM - use of Federal income tax refund offset process for non-AFDC and safeguarding issuesSeptember 30, 1991Provides an index of AT's, IM's, and PIQ's from 1975 to September 30, 1991September 12, 1991New and revised State plan preprint page 3.8-1 regarding an advance planning document updateSeptember 5, 1991Examples of statutes from States designed to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of medical support enforcementSeptember 5, 1991When and how to request another State to perform a "quick locate" without using the formal interstate caseAugust 6, 1991Proposed rule would revise the timeframes for distribution of the $50.00 pass-through paymentsAugust 6, 1991Inclusion of non-penalty recommendations to improve financial or program management in child support state programs
Revision to the Title IV-D State Plan Preprint and Submission of State Plan Pages to Indicate ComplianceAugust 5, 1991Provides new and revised State plan preprint pages due September 30, 1991July 26, 1991Instructions for submitting requests for collection of child support debts by the IRS through Federal tax offset processJune 27, 1991Contains instructions for submitting requests and processing responses for Project 1099June 27, 1991NPRM adds that FFP is not available for the cost of guardians ad litem appointed for minors in IV-D actionsMarch 8, 1991Providing appropriate notice to continue IV-D services to former non-AFDC Medicaid and title IV-E foster care recipients