OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1998 Policy Documents
- December 28, 1998PRWORA provisions related to interstate child support enforcement case processingNovember 25, 1998Describes the process allowing a court with proper authority to receive FPLS information despite a family violence indicatorOctober 13, 1998Policy questions and answers regarding the multistate provisions of the financial institution data matchOctober 8, 1998Clarifies the requirement for Federal and State agencies to comply with income withholding notice requirementsOctober 6, 1998Tables representing Child Support Program data for fiscal years 1993 through 1997September 29, 1998Implementation of revised financial forms (OCSE-34A and OCSE-396A)September 25, 1998Information on processes to obtain support from veterans’ benefits under certain circumstancesSeptember 17, 1998Promotes collaboration between the Developmental Disabilities and Child Support Enforcement programs at State and local levelsSeptember 17, 1998Policy questions and responses regarding the provisions PRWORA requiring the placement of a family violence indicatorSeptember 2, 1998Revises AT-98-20, Instructions for Completing form OCSE-157, Child Support Enforcement Annual Data ReportAugust 26, 1998Final regulation implements provisions of PRWORA related to child support program automationAugust 26, 1998Allocation of 80 percent matching funds for child support enforcement automated systemsAugust 19, 1998State option to implement changes to distribution in former assistance cases on October 1, 1998, rather than in two phasesAugust 17, 1998Provides guidance on the interpretation of federal public benefits as they relate to noncitizensAugust 7, 1998Transmits PIQ regarding proper handling of requests for information from the FPLS by noncusotidal parentsAugust 3, 1998State provisions for providing quarterly wage and unemployment compensation data to the NDNHJuly 31, 1998Implement provisions of the Child Support Performance and Incentive Act of 1998 (CSPIA) related to program automationJuly 31, 1998States which fail to implement statewide child support systems may elect alternative penalties made available by CSPIAJuly 28, 1998Cooperative agreements between Indian Tribes and State agencies operating a State Child Support Enforcement ProgramJuly 11, 1998Announcement of the Slovak Republic as a foreign reciprocating country for child support enforcementJuly 10, 1998Announces the release of Action Transmittal 98-20 for the new statistical reporting form, OCSE-157, with its instructionsJuly 10, 1998Instructions for completing the OCSE-157 form, Child Support Enforcement Annual Data ReportJuly 10, 1998Revised payment procedures to assist States with the recovery of delinquent child support from noncustodial parentsJuly 6, 1998Announces the release of AT-98-17 transferring the Federal Offset Program toTreasury's Financial Management Service
Collection of Child Support through Federal Income Tax Refund Offset, Administrative Offset, and Passport DenialJuly 6, 1998Collection of child support through Federal and administrative offset and passport denial programsApril 28, 1998Updated directory of each child support enforcement interstate central registry officeApril 28, 1998Revisions to eight State plan preprint pages: Sections 2.1, 2.4, 2.5, 2.8, 2.12-16, 2.12-20, 3.16, and 3.14April 24, 1998Guidance on requesting a test deck generator for states to assess processing compliance with PRWORA requirementsApril 8, 1998Proposes requirements for the automated child support enforcement system provisions enacted on or before the date of PRWORAMarch 31, 1998Guidance to the States on conducting their annual self-assessment and reporting their operations to OCSEMarch 25, 1998NPRM to implement provisions of PRWORA related to child support enforcement program automationMarch 20, 1998Share of collections retained by each State in any fiscal year will be equal to the similar amount it retained in FY1995March 11, 1998Provides the proposed rule concerning automated data processing funding limitations for child support enforcement systemsMarch 5, 1998Policy questions regarding the SCR and the FCR and child support orders under PRWORAMarch 2, 1998Policy questions and answers regarding the financial institution data match requirements under PRWORAMarch 2, 1998Policy questions and responses regarding the NDNH and the SDNH under PRWORAMarch 2, 1998Policy response to inquiries regarding high-volume, automated administrative enforcement in interstate casesFebruary 25, 1998Proposed rule on the revisions to the standards for program operation regarding case closureJanuary 27, 1998Child Support Performance and Incentive Act of 1998January 27, 1998Distribution of Federally Approved Standardized Income Withholding Form and Instructions for completing the formJanuary 23, 1998Establishes the minimum data elements and information requirements that must be in State paternity acknowledgment affidavitsJanuary 8, 1998Proposed rule implementing part of the paternity establishment provisions contained in PRWORALast Reviewed: July 26, 2016