OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1999 Policy Documents
- December 23, 1999Transmits the updates to Automated Systems for Child Support Enforcement: A Guide for States to satisfy PRWORADecember 22, 1999Provides relevant section of the "Foster Care Independence Act of 1999" that amends the hold harmless provisionDecember 22, 1999Answers questions in order to clarify instructions and address data reporting issues in the OCSE-157 formDecember 14, 1999Provides portions of Pub. L. 106-113, Consolidated Appropriations Act for FY 2000, relevant to child supportDecember 10, 1999Transmits report to Congress on development of a medical support incentive for the child support enforcement programDecember 10, 1999Transmits the Executive Summary of the final report on State Financing of Child Support Enforcement ProgramsDecember 3, 1999Follow-up and correction to PIQ-98-09 regarding furnishing a consumer report for enforcing a child support orderDecember 2, 1999Notification: incorrect employer address sent from State Directories of New Hire to National Directory of New HiresDecember 2, 1999Provides guidance for Federal income tax refund offset, administrative offset, and passport denial programsDecember 1, 1999Announces implementation of the online Interstate Roster and Referral Guide (IRG) on the OCSE websiteNovember 15, 1999Announces the NPRM for the National Medical Support Notice implementing provisions of the CSPIANovember 10, 1999Transmits Executive Summary of the Interstate Summit: Crossing the Line for the Children of AmericaOctober 28, 1999Announces the release of the OCSE video on "The Power of Two: Voluntarily Acknowledging Paternity"October 12, 1999Announces the NPRM adding regulations to the performance-based incentive system, performance penalties, and audit standardsOctober 12, 1999Announces NRPM implementing PRWORA provision requiring States to annually assess performance of child support programsSeptember 29, 1999Announces the start date of Data Reliability Audits for FY 1999 and requests information in preparationSeptember 20, 1999Provides tools designed to raise awareness about security and privacy issuesSeptember 15, 1999Provides a revised definition of "assistance paid to the family" for child support enforcement collection purposesSeptember 13, 1999Questions, answers, and action items discussed during the Federal Offset conference callsAugust 25, 1999Collaboration to promote child support services for eligible families of children with mental retardationAugust 16, 1999Guidance on the imposition of liens and levies on financial institutions across state linesJuly 26, 1999Announces availability of computer-based training course for child support workers on Paternity EstablishmentJuly 14, 1999Guidance on the inclusion of SSNs on license applications and other documents when the individual does not have a SSNJune 16, 1999Addresses questions regarding access to and requests for information from the FPLSJune 15, 1999Transmits OCSE's 22nd Annual Report to Congress for FY 1997June 9, 1999Provides guidance on whether an otherwise eligible noncitizen can receive child support enforcement benefits/servicesJune 7, 1999Announces the declaration of the Province of Nova Scotia, Canada, as a foreign reciprocating countryJune 2, 1999Explains the reduction of alternative penalty for States failing to meet the PRWORA Statewide Automated Systems deadlineMay 14, 1999Announcement of IRS agreement to manually process injured spouse claims when filed simutaneously with original returnApril 28, 1999Announces Final Rule on monitoring, evaluating and reporting on grants to states for Access and Visitation ProgramsApril 22, 1999IRS will no longer be processing original tax returns and injured spouse claims simultaneouslyApril 20, 1999Provides the Department of State's guidelines for the Passport Denial ProcessMarch 25, 1999Issues the February 1999 revision of the "Automated Sytems for Child Support Enforcement: A Guide for States"March 24, 1999Addresses questions related to NDNH and SDNH under PRWORAMarch 22, 1999Guidance for direct income withholding from unemployment compensation (UC) benefits across State linesMarch 22, 1999Clarification on policy regarding compromise of arrearages when parents marry or remarryMarch 16, 1999Issues the "Addendum to the State Systems APD Guide" for child support enforcment automated systemsMarch 11, 1999Transmits Final Rule on Case Closure criteria, making it easier for States to close unworkable casesMarch 10, 1999Final Rule implementing the voluntary acknowledgement process for paternity establishment in section 331 of PRWORAFebruary 26, 1999Announces partnership between OCSE and the National Head Start Association to promote available child support servicesFebruary 25, 1999Responsibility of State IV-D agencies in providing services in cases where international child abduction is at issueFebruary 12, 1999Tranmits information about and script for Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment Staff Training VideoFebruary 10, 1999Announces an interim final rule that amends Federal regulations rendered obsolete by PRWORA and other new legislationFebruary 8, 1999Clarification on the use of the Federal Order/Notice to Withhold Form issued January 27, 1998January 14, 1999Guidance on providing paternity or child support enforcement services to individuals residing in a foreign countryJanuary 1, 1999Informs State IV-B, IV-D and IV-E agencies of the capacity to locate non-custodial parents using information from the FPLSLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016