OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2001 Policy Documents
- December 21, 2001Revised tables show the ways of calculating the base level of program expenditures for incentive reinvestment purposesNovember 13, 2001Highlights the need to quickly review activated reservist requests for an adjustment of a child support orderOctober 4, 2001Provides an updated Training of CSE Trainers (TOT) guide with revised curriculum and case studiesOctober 4, 2001Clarifies the definitions of "borrowings" and "Time Deposit Accounts" referenced in AT 98-07September 5, 2001Clarification of OCSE's position concerning the sale of child support arrearages to a private firm at discount rateSeptember 4, 2001Provides States the option of electronic submission of State plan materials into the OCSE State Plan SystemAugust 31, 2001Announces the release of the FVI CBT Program providing information about FPLS and the components of family violenceAugust 31, 2001OCSE developed a Computer Based Training (CBT) course targeted for child support enforcement caseworkersAugust 30, 2001Provides information on final rules for SCHIP and Medicaid presumptive eligibilityAugust 29, 2001Provides a report highlighting major issues and technical assistance and training needs as identified by States in 2001August 24, 2001Announces the release of the 2001 6th edition "Compendium of State Best Practices/ Good Ideas in Child Support Enforcement"August 21, 2001Provides information to IV-D practitioners pursuing interstate enforcement remedies without assistance from another stateAugust 15, 2001Announces OCSE collaboration with NCSC to improve communication between State and local child support agencies and courtsAugust 8, 2001Provides information to IV-D caseworkers on collecting child support obligations using income withholdingAugust 7, 2001Announces an independent life cycle review of FPLS in compliance with Clinger Cohen Act & OMB Circular A-130August 1, 2001Provides the Instructor's Guide for the "Step-by-Step Child Support for Employers" courseJuly 30, 2001Paternity establishment video in Spanish, entitled "El Poder de Dos: El Reconocimiento Voluntario de la PaternidadJuly 18, 2001Notifies States that prior to issuance of tax rebate checks the IRS will mail a notice of status letter to taxpayersJuly 18, 2001Announces the release of an OCSE developed course on the history and implementation of FIDMJuly 18, 2001Reissues the revised Locate Date Sheet and instructions to be used in UIFSA interstate casesJuly 9, 2001Clarification on thresholds for assigned and unassigned support for Federal Income Tax Refund OffsetJuly 6, 2001Announces OCSE's intention to use 1998 expenditure data as a base amount, unless the State notifies OCSE otherwiseJune 27, 2001Guidance on providing payment records in the State Case Registry to SSA for determining eligibility for SSIJune 26, 2001Provides a summary of the "Minnesota Child Support Assurance: Program Design, Caseloads and Costs" studyJune 14, 2001Announces an OCSE web page for the FIDM programJune 13, 2001Preliminary profile of state access and visitation grant activity, based on information supplied by the statesJune 6, 2001Clarification on the purpose and use of the Locate Data Sheet in IV-D casesJune 5, 2001Issues revised instructions for completing form OCSE-157, the Annual Data ReportMay 30, 2001Stipulates that States receiving enhanced funding for automation must expend funds by October 1, 2001May 22, 2001Research findings on coordinating child support and public assistance agencies in their response to domestic violenceMay 18, 2001Explains changes required when completing Form OCSE-396A due to the elimination of FFP at the 80 percent rateMay 7, 2001Transmits Technical Assistance and Training (TA/T) and products in key subject areas produced by OCSEMay 3, 2001Updates minimum computer and operational system specifications in order to access Web Based Training (WBT)May 2, 2001Summarizes "Automated Cost-of-Living Adjustments of Child Support Orders in Three States" study funded by OCSEApril 18, 2001Explains the "determining the controlling order" concept and answers questions related to the processApril 12, 2001Provides information on working with faith-based and community organizations on behalf of children and familiesApril 4, 2001Transmits revised and approved Administrative Subpoena and Notice of Lien forms for use in interstate casesApril 2, 2001Transmits the new effective date of March 27, 2001 for the Final Rule on the National Medical Support Notice in AT-01-02March 29, 2001Announces the revised Federal Order/Notice to Withhold Income for Child Support and instructions for form completionMarch 19, 2001Summary Notes of the MSFIDM Working Session held in Washington, DC on February 22 and 23, 2001March 19, 2001Procedures for requesting FPLS information to authorized users through Federal Case Registry or calling FPLS HotlineMarch 16, 2001Summarizes Federal and State cases involving title IV-D of the Social Security ActMarch 1, 2001Reminder that FPLS is moving towards electronic data transmissions through Federal Case Registry or CONNECT:DirectFebruary 28, 2001Clarification of the Federal requirements for the locate function after the expansion of FPLS and proper proceduresFebruary 13, 2001Provides an update regarding the IRS EITC/FCR match process and the notice process to the taxpayersFebruary 8, 2001Information on new initiative that compares student loan data from Dept of Education with NDNH employment dataFebruary 2, 2001Clarification on appropriate use of Federal Income Withholding Form: Order/ Notice to Withhold Income for Child SupportFebruary 2, 2001Provides information on State reinvestesment of child support incentive payments in their child support programsJanuary 30, 2001Announces the delay of the effective date for the Final Rule for the National Medical Support Notice
Web Based Training Courses: Child Support Enforcement Orientation and Processing Interstate Cases/UIFSAJanuary 24, 2001Announces the release of two web based training courses: CSE Orientation and Processing Interstate Cases/ UIFSAJanuary 19, 2001Updates DCL 01-03 regarding IRS use of Federal Case Registry informationJanuary 16, 2001Notice to State CSE agencies managing calls from taxpayers as a result of IRS and FCR data matching regarding EITCJanuary 8, 2001Reports from Colorado's Multiple Initiatives Grant on Interest, Incarceration, License Suspension, StaffingJanuary 8, 2001Announces the final rule implementing the medical support provisions of the Child Support Performance and Incentives ActJanuary 3, 2001Announces the final rule on the new performance-based incentive system, performance penalties and audit standardsLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016