OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2002 Policy Documents
- December 20, 2002Guidance regarding the implementation of the National Medical Support Notice and other medical support issuesDecember 13, 2002Clarifies where to send an IWO for a noncustodial parent receiving benefits from the Social Security AdministrationDecember 4, 2002Guidance on a custodial parent requesting a change of address for the disbursement of child support payments to a third partyDecember 4, 2002Identifiies practices that promote healthy working relationships between States and PCAs and improve customer serviceDecember 4, 2002Provides additional federal guidance on concerns arising from the IV-D and Private Collection Agency (PCA) relationshipDecember 4, 2002New federal reciprocating agreements for child support with the Netherlands, Norway, Alberta, Newfoundland, and Ontario.December 4, 2002Clarifies procedures for providing FPLS locate services to "agents of the child" for child support purposesOctober 29, 2002A summary of successful child support program and organizational practicesOctober 23, 2002Describes a process developed by Utah for Quarterly Wage and Unemployment Insurance claim provider address cleanupOctober 17, 2002Provides information on Access and Visitation services funded by States in FY 1999October 1, 20022002 guide created as part of an ongoing effort to improve information exchange between child support agencies and DoDSeptember 27, 2002Announces a change in DoD policy regarding processing FPLS requests for active duty and reserve military personnelSeptember 27, 2002Release includes changes to Federal Case Registry (FCR), Interstate Referral Guide (IRG), and Federal Offset programSeptember 16, 2002Provides information on the corrective action process and planning a corrective action in response to self-assessment reviewsAugust 13, 2002An hour-long presentation designed to raise security awareness for state and local child support agenciesAugust 5, 2002Guidance regarding options available for a state to recoup a child support overpaymentAugust 1, 2002Provides articles on Quarterly Wage, Data Match and Asset Seizure, and FIDMAugust 1, 2002Announces the release of an OCSE developed guidebook to assist states in assessing benefits of the NDNHJuly 25, 2002Establishes changes to Canadian jurisdictions laws for establishing, registering, and modifying reciprocal support ordersMay 30, 2002Provides conference call notes on the development and maintenance of an employer database within a statewide automated systemMay 28, 2002Informs States and Tribes of applicability and provisions of Full Faith and Credit for Child Support Orders Act
Requesting an Exemption from the Mandatory Law and Procedure in Section 466(f) of the Social Security ActMay 17, 2002Establishes procedures states must follow for an exemption from section 466(f) of the Social Security Act for UIFSA 1996May 16, 2002Issues the Executive Summary for Alaska's Electronic Modification of Child Support Orders for Review and AdjustmentMay 7, 2002Updates the Notice of Lien form and instructions disseminated in OCSE AT 01-06, corrections summarizedApril 11, 2002Issues a TEMPO on statistical sampling for self-assessment to assist in selecting the samplesMarch 20, 2002Provides a guide with recommendeded steps for performing audits of a State’s central collection and disbursement unitFebruary 11, 2002Reminder that states can initiate income-withholding on tribal and non-tribal Federal employees working on reservationsJanuary 30, 2002Provides the Federal Offset Collections Report for OCSE Cycle 2001-25Last Reviewed: July 26, 2016