OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2004 Policy Documents
- December 30, 2004Introduces schedule UDC, a financial reporting form for itemized undistributed collections, to be filed with OCSE-34ANovember 17, 2004Accessing the U.S. Federal Parent Locator Service to find information about a person in the U.S. for child supportNovember 15, 2004Information on the “SUTA Dumping Prevention Act of 2004”, which adds a new use for data in the NDNHNovember 12, 2004Information on items helpful to OCSE when reviewing state self-assessment reportsNovember 5, 2004Final Rule revises regulations on collecting child support arrears through the Federal Tax Refund Offset processNovember 1, 2004Announces reciprocity agreements with Switzerland and Canadian Provinces of New Brunswick, NW Territories, and NunavutOctober 28, 2004Questions and answers regarding income withholding enforcement for tribes operating a IV-D programSeptember 27, 2004Information on the importance of standardization of IV-D case identifiersSeptember 17, 2004National Child Support Enforcement Strategic Plan for FY 2005-2009September 14, 2004Letter to states related to issues regarding Internal Revenue Service (IRS) safeguard reviewsAugust 13, 2004Summary of who owes child support debt, how much is expected to be paid, and suggestions for reducing itAugust 13, 2004Extends OMB approval for OCSE forms including National Medical Support Notice and Voluntary Acknowledgement of PaternityAugust 2, 2004Preliminary data report on child access and visitation grants, State profiles FY 2003July 15, 2004Transmits revised standardized income withholding form and instructions as required by PRWORAJuly 9, 2004Announces OMB granted extension for collecting information in the OCSE-157 Annual Data Report to 12/31/2005July 8, 2004Guide on understanding child support debtJuly 2, 2004Guidance on disbursement of child support payments electronically through direct deposit and stored value card
Medical Support Enforcement under the IV-D Program and Privacy Protections under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability ActJune 24, 2004Addresses disclosure of protected health information to a child support agency in response to a National Medical Support NoticeJune 18, 2004The Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act, replaces the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act of 1940June 9, 2004Announces FPLS Release 04-01, which includes enhancements to the FCR, CSENet and the Federal Offset systemJune 4, 2004A summary of successful child support program and organizational practicesJune 4, 2004Guide to support efforts to increase the efficiency and accuracy of case closure in Child Support Enforcement systemsJune 3, 2004Contains appropriate contact information for different issues related to international child support enforcementJune 3, 2004OCSE has reorganized the functions of the United States Central Authority for International Child Support EnforcementMay 13, 2004Checklist explains changes the Tribal IV-D agency must make as a result of changes in the final regulationsMay 6, 2004Information on where to send Wal-Mart correspondence from child support enforcement agenciesApril 19, 2004Availablity of a Cost Allocation Methodologies ToolkitApril 19, 2004OMB has extended the Annual State Self-Assessment Review and Report through March 31, 2007March 31, 2004Guidance regarding interstate case processing rules as they apply to foreign reciprocating countriesMarch 30, 2004Final Rule on Tribal Child Support Enforcement Programs with guidance on applying for and receiving fundingMarch 19, 2004Summary of process improvements to the National Directory of New HireMarch 18, 2004Data comparison between the National Directory of New Hires and Housing and Urban DevelopmentMarch 4, 2004Information on sending child support payments to the Slovak RepublicFebruary 26, 2004Summary of the National Child Support Systems Conference: "Our Road to the Future" December 9-11, 2003February 24, 2004OCSE ATs, IMs, PIQs, and DCLs issued from January 2000 to December 2003February 9, 2004Provides the final Federal Offset Collections Report for Processing Year 2003, OCSE Cycle 2003-25January 22, 2004Survey of system enhancements to TANF/CSE interfaces that improve child support collections and self-sufficiencyJanuary 21, 2004Implementing provisions that permit auditing States’ data reliability on a cycle less frequently than annuallyLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016