OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2006 Policy Documents
- December 7, 2006Notes from the Peer-to-Peer Technical Assistance and Training Conference on the collection of current support and arrearsDecember 6, 2006SSA implements COGS to respond to income withholding orders from child support agenciesNovember 16, 2006Explains revisions in financial reporting instructions for the OCSE-396A to accommodate the Deficit Reduction ActNovember 8, 2006Annouces plans to upgrade the OCSE Network, which supports CSENet 2000, DFAS Kids 1st, and e-IWO applicationsNovember 3, 2006Reminds States of the importance of submitting current and revised OCSE-157 reportsOctober 30, 2006Provides a copy of a model strategic plan for use in regional, State or local collaborative efforts with courtsOctober 18, 2006Provides the notes from the National Child Support Interstate and Systems SymposiumOctober 5, 2006Request for comments on the draft standards for CSE-TANF data exchange referralOctober 5, 2006The threshold amount that triggers eligibility for passport denial has been reducedSeptember 22, 2006Addresses inquiries regarding provisions in the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consume Protection Act of 2005September 21, 2006Announces the end of the six-month pilot period for the QUICK applicationSeptember 20, 2006NPRM on the child support program requirements to address medical support coverage in IV-D casesSeptember 18, 2006Announces the release of a one-day training course for child support distribution in Tribal IV-D casesSeptember 8, 2006Announces the data submission requirements for FY 2006 data reliability audits
Clarification of DCL-06-16: Implementation of the $25 Annual Fee in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005September 1, 2006Clarifies DCL-06-16 regarding the implementation of the $25 annual fee under the Deficit Reduction ActAugust 11, 2006Sets forth policy and clarifies areas of difficulty in interpreting federal regulations for automated system projectsAugust 9, 2006Provides the recent security activities that address potential security vulnerabilitiesJuly 17, 2006Provides a copy of a guide that describes ways to improve the review and adjustment processJune 14, 2006Clarifies requirement to provide cost-free service of process to countries that have Federal-level agreements with the U.S.June 8, 2006Provides an updated version of the video: "The Power of Two: Voluntarily Acknowledging Paternity"June 7, 2006Provides a summary of the recommendations from Location Codes (FIPS) WorkgroupMay 25, 2006Final Rule regarding reasonable quantitative standards for review and adjustment of child support ordersMay 3, 2006Announces the implementation of the $25 annual fee provision in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005March 29, 2006Updates PIQ-05-05 to clarify procedures for sending the NMSN to DMDC for dependents of active and retired military personnelMarch 29, 2006Announces the implementation of the new threshold for the Passport Denial ProgramMarch 23, 2006Announces SSA's new national garnishment system, COGS, which will rely on up-to-date information from CSE agenciesMarch 7, 2006Explains how the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 impacts the child support programMarch 3, 2006Provides a copy of the 2005 Medical Support Collaboration meetings summaryFebruary 13, 2006Outlines disaster related payments that may be offset and/or withheld for purposes of child support enforcementFebruary 9, 2006Guidance on UIFSA provisions for transmitting and receiving evidence and expediting interstate fact-finding proceedingsJanuary 26, 2006Describes the proper way to allocate child support payments across multiple child support ordersJanuary 19, 2006Government-wide effort to provide community- and faith-based organizations the opportunity to compete for federal fundsJanuary 17, 2006Provides the OIG report on the ability of NCPs to contribute toward the Medicaid costs of Title IV-D childrenJanuary 12, 2006Provides a summary of the major issues and recommendations that were identified at the Employer Symposium in August 2005January 5, 2006Provides seminar curriculum on improving program outcomes through interagency collaborationLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016