OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2008 Policy Documents
- December 22, 2008States should resubmit State Plan Preprint Pages 2.8, 2.15, and 3.11 certifying compliance with medical support rulesDecember 15, 2008Distributes a report on undistributed collections for FY 2007December 12, 2008Solicitation to find a comprehensive Tribal IV-D program to pilot test the Model Tribal SystemDecember 11, 2008Announces the release of the Final rule on the child support provisions in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005December 11, 2008Proposed rules for establishing and enforcing support orders and establishing paternity in intergovernmental casesDecember 10, 2008Provides a copy of the Federal Register in which Federal reciprocity declarations are listedNovember 21, 2008Announces the release of the Automated Systems for Child Support Enforcement: A Guide for Enhancing FIDMNovember 19, 2008Describes the impact of the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 on arrears balances for TANF and non-TANF casesNovember 12, 2008Announces new updates the State Guidelines Study conducted by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) in 2005November 12, 2008Provides guidance regarding the enacment of UIFSA 2008 prior to Treaty ratificationOctober 28, 2008Welcomes four Tribes, awarded Comprehensive Tribal IV-D funding, to the child support enforcement communityOctober 23, 2008Provides data standards for the child support community to facilitate an automated data exchange with the courts/judiciaryOctober 14, 2008Announces the release of the "Child Access and Visitation Grants: State/Jurisdiction Profiles for FY 2007"September 30, 2008Issues data submission requirements for FY 2008 OCSE Data Reliability Audits .September 30, 2008Rules for State Parent Locator Service responses to authorized location requests and safeguarding confidential informationSeptember 26, 2008Announces enhancements to FPLS, CSENet, FCR, IRG, and QUICK to improve locate response data and service to families
Collect Data for New Lines on OCSE-157 for FY 09 and Resubmit Previous Unreliable or Incomplete DataSeptember 19, 2008Reminder to State IV-D Directors to start collecting specified data on the OCSE-157 form for FY 2009September 16, 2008Announces an OMB granted extension for collecting the information contained in the OCSE-157 Annual Data ReportSeptember 15, 2008Provides a current status of OCSE's Insurance Match and a participation agreement and a model bulletinSeptember 8, 2008Provides a copy of the Judicial-Child Support Collaborative Planning Guide for Leading ChangeSeptember 2, 2008Encourages the use of the revised Federal Income Withholding Order for Support by private firms, attorneys, and courtsSeptember 2, 2008Announces that SSA will transition from Sterling Commerce Connect to a new data exchange software productAugust 21, 2008Announces OCSE's decision to move the Query Interstate Cases for Kids (QUICK) application to the InternetAugust 12, 2008Reminder for Tribal Child Support Enforcement agencies of deadline for submitting completed OCSE-75 forms to OCSEAugust 1, 2008Renews State Plan Package and requires submission of Preprint Page 2.4, Collection and Distribution of Support PaymentsJuly 24, 2008Provides a Caseworker's Guide to assist with implementation of federal-level international child support agreementsJuly 24, 2008Final Rule on the requirements for states to address medical support coverage in IV-D casesJune 12, 2008Announces the release of the "Child Access and Visitation Grants: State/Jurisdiction Profiles for FY 2006"June 11, 2008NPRM addresses Tribal system requirements and provides information on consultations for NPRMJune 6, 2008Provides best practices and lessons learned regarding the exchange of case-related data between IV-A and IV-D programsJune 4, 2008Notice of five computer-based training courses developed for tribal child support enforcement caseworkersJune 4, 2008Announces results from a pilot State demographic survey on the socioeconomic characteristics of the IV-D populationMay 23, 2008Provides Federal Offset Collections Report for OCSE Cycle 2008-08, to include offsets from Economic Stimulus Payments
Closing Cases when the Noncustodial Parents Receives SSI Benefits and is Unable to Pay Child SupportMay 23, 2008Guidance for state IV-D agencies: medically-verified total and permanent disability of noncustodial parent, case closureMay 16, 2008Paid In Full #5 and 6 address suggestions for improving license suspension programs and information available through FPLSMay 16, 2008Announces the release of the, Arrears Management: Practical Resource Guide, to help manage arrearsMay 16, 2008Updates and supersedes AT-98-05 regarding AEI and includes new questions and answers raised since the passage of the DRAMay 15, 2008Provides guidance on obtaining Employment Verification for a USPS employee/non-custodial parentMay 14, 2008Reminder to Tribal IV-D programs that copies of contracts must be submitted with Tribal IV-D plansMay 7, 2008Consultations scheduled prior to Computerized Tribal IV-D Systems and Office Automation Notice of Proposed Rule MakingMay 5, 2008Provides results from the Urban Institute Report, Assessing Child Support Arrears in Nine Large States and The NationMay 2, 2008Provides a Caseworker's Guide intended to assist with implementation of federal-level international child support agreementsMay 2, 2008Releases the, Checklist for Distribution Options, a tool designed to aid States in analyzing distribution optionsApril 28, 2008Provides a meeting summary of the workgroup on Unreproted and Underground Income (UUI)April 25, 2008Two document models that contain data elements needed for an electronic exchange of information between CSE and the courtApril 25, 2008Discusses the HHS Initiative to End Chronic Homelessness and provides ways the child support program can helpApril 22, 2008Clarifies Federal policy on referral of Medicaid cases to IV-D agencies and provides information on appropriate referralsApril 22, 2008Announces the release of the Promising Practices Compendium 2007 and requests submissions for the next editionApril 11, 2008Questions and answers on pre-award costs in OMB Circular A-87, start date of start-up grants, and no-cost extensionsApril 11, 2008Transmits the 2008 OMB-approved National Medical Support Notice (NMSN) Part A and Part BApril 9, 2008Reminds states that self-assessment reports are due no later than six months after the review periodApril 7, 2008Announces the enhancements to the Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS) described in Major Release 08-01March 28, 2008Discusses the new computer security requirements described in the revised IRS Publication 1075March 26, 2008A summary of successful child support program and organizational practicesMarch 26, 2008Announces Finland and the United Kingdom as foreign reciprocating countries for child support enforcement purposesMarch 17, 2008Provides information on the IRS economic stimulus payments process in relation to injured spouse claims on joint returnsMarch 17, 2008Transmits approved Administrative Subpoena and Notice of Lien forms to use in interstate casesMarch 7, 2008DOD's new policy on determining dependency for health care benefits for children born out-of-wedlockMarch 7, 2008Announces NPRM for revision of the Advance Planning Document (ADP) process for States and TerritoriesMarch 6, 2008Announces the release of e-OSCAR, a web-based system developed to enable electronic response for credit history disputesMarch 5, 2008An Executive Summary of cross-border electronic payment initiatives, including joint activities, lessons learned, futher explorationFebruary 26, 2008Flow charts on paternity establishment and service of process when the noncustodial parent is on a U.S. military baseFebruary 22, 2008Notifies states that economic stimulus tax refunds are subject to offset under the Federal Offset ProgramFebruary 20, 2008Provides response to questions regarding self-insurers being included in the Federal Insurance MatchFebruary 8, 2008Reviews successes and tools developed to assist States in efforts to increase collections and prevent and/or decrease arrearsFebruary 6, 2008Clarifies locator code standards issued for Tribal and international jurisdictionsJanuary 29, 2008Issues revisions to the approved Standard Intergovernmental Child Support Enforcement formsJanuary 14, 2008Provides the final Federal Offset Collections Report for processing year 2007, OCSE Cycle 2007-25January 11, 2008File transfer protocol via OCSENet will be converted to the State’s existing CONNECT:Direct connectionJanuary 4, 2008Templates for developing business cases for electronic data exchange between child support agencies and courtsJanuary 4, 2008Requests States submit State Plan print pages 2.5- 4, 2.12-19, and 3.18 by 3/31/2008 to indicate complianceLast Reviewed: July 26, 2016