FPLS Minor Release 08-02
This is a historical document. Use for research and reference purposes only.
DEAR COLLEAGUE LETTER
DATE: September 26, 2008
TO: ALL STATE AND TRIBAL IV-D DIRECTORS
RE: FPLS Minor Release 08-02
In October 2008, the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) will implement most of the components of the Federal Parent Locator Service's (FPLS) Minor Release 08-02. This release includes enhancements to the Child Support Enforcement Network (CSENet), the Federal Case Registry (FCR), the Intergovernmental Referral Guide (IRG), and the Query Interstate Cases for Kids (QUICK) System. These enhancements were developed to streamline locate response data and to improve service to families.
The changes, as described below, will be implemented over the weekend of October 3-5, with the following exceptions:
- The IRG changes were implemented on July 25, 2008.
- FCR OCSE Ref # 2286 is targeted for implementation in the Fall of 2008.
- FCR OCSE Ref # 2421 will be implemented in December 2008.
- For CSENet OCSE Ref # 308, as explained in CSENet EFlash #08-10 of September 15, 2008 OCSE has postponed the conversion pending the SSA rollout of the replacement for CONNECT:Direct.
- There is no change in FPLS for Federal Offset in this Release.
Child Support Enforcement Network - There are five enhancements to CSENet.
- New Values for Dependent-Paternity-Status Field (OCSE Ref # 202 )
New values are being added to identify the method by which paternity was established.
- New Transaction - Federal Tax Offset Transmission (OCSE Ref # 296)
A new transaction is being added to notify the other State that an interstate case has been submitted for Federal tax offset.
- New Transaction - Change of Payee (OCSE Ref # 298)
A new transaction is being added for change of payee.
- New Transaction - Request Paternity and Establishment (OCSE Ref # 300)
A new transaction is being added to allow a State to request both paternity establishment and order establishment at the same time.
- States Migration to CONNECT:Direct for CSENet (OCSE Ref # 308)
OCSE is beginning the process to convert the remaining States' method of communicating CSENet data from the existing OCSE Network to the National Computer Center (NCC). Note: This initiative is postponed pending the SSA rollout of the replacement for CONNECT:Direct.
Federal Case Registry - There are five enhancements to the FCR.
- Replace UI Claims Administrator's Address on QW Records (OCSE Ref # 2261)
The FCR will return the employer's address on the QW record instead of the Unemployment Insurance Claims Administrator's address.
- Return QW Change and Indicator If No Prior W4 (OCSE Ref # 2262)
The FCR will provide additional QW information on the NDNH-to-FCR Proactive Match that will indicate a plus or minus difference between the current and prior QW amount along with the percentage of change. In addition, an indicator will be returned to notify States if neither a prior QW nor W4 record was found.
- National Change of Address (NCOA) Interface (OCSE Ref # 2286)
The FCR will provide a mechanism for States to check their participant's name(s) and address(es) against the NCOA database to determine if there is a change of address on file at the United States Postal Service. Even if a record does not match NCOA files, NCOA will return the submitted address in a standardized format that can be useful in improving mail processing and obtaining or maintaining postal rate reductions.
- New SSN/Name Verification Process (OCSE Ref # 2421)
The FCR will add two additional verification routines from SSA's State Verification and Exchange System (SVES) verification process. The first will ignore the surname and the second will use the SVES correction routine to transpose numbers in order to try to identify the correct SSN.
- Recycle Unverified SSN/Name Combinations (OCSE Ref # 2479)
The FCR will resubmit IV-D participants whose FCR record contains an unverified SSN/Name combination to the SSN verification process every 90 days.
Federal Offset System - There are no enhancements to OCSE's Federal Offset System. No State changes are needed.
There is one enhancement to the U.S. Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS) system, which is described below.
- Deficit Reduction Act 2008 Changes
The distinction in offset priority between TANF and non-TANF past-due child support is being removed.
Intergovernmental Referral Guide - There are two enhancements to the IRG, both of which were implemented on July 25, 2008.
- Enhance Address Type Download for County Addresses (OCSE Ref # 2480)
The IRG system has been modified to remove a State selection for county address types.
- Add Department Search Feature on State Regions Addresses Screen (OCSE Ref # 2495)
The IRG system has been modified to allow an additional search method (by Department) when searching for State Region addresses.
Query Interstate Cases for Kids - There are three enhancements to the QUICK System.
- Modify Error Page (OCSE Ref # 2314)
HTML requesting States will be provided a specific error message instead of a generic message.
- Develop New Case Activities Audit Service (OCSE Ref # 2478)
A new Web service is being added that will provide audit data for the Case Activities (CA) module.
- QUICK State Status Page (OCSE Ref # 2489)
A summary page is being added that will contain information on States' production status and the type of data/operations they provide.
For a copy of the Release 08-02 Manifest, or for the detailed specifications regarding these FPLS modifications, refer to the following OCSE website.
States may contact their State Technical Support (TS) Liaisons with questions regarding the FCR enhancements, or to discuss programming enhancements that would enable State systems to effectively process the data and maximize data usage.
If you have questions regarding the CSENet enhancements, please contact your CSENet Technical Representative at (800) 258-2736. A list of technical representatives assigned to your State may be found on the OCSE Website.
For questions regarding the Federal Offset System, contact Scott Hale at (202) 401-5745 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the IRG enhancements, contact Angela Kasey at (202) 205-3423 or email@example.com.
For questions regarding the QUICK application enhancements, contact Vinette Elam at (703) 367-2578 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Child Support Enforcement
cc: Regional Program Managers