Explanation of the Interstate Case Reconciliation Reason Codes
Interstate Case Reconciliation Cheat Sheet
This document summarizes the Reason Codes received on cases and case participants submitted to the Interstate Case Reconciliation (ICR) project. The document is intended as a "cheat sheet" for use by staff working to reconcile interstate cases and to communicate with workers in other states. For more detailed information, consult the ICR User Guide on the OCSE website.
Case structures vary from state to state. For example, your state may allow multiple CPs or NCPs on a single case, whereas the other state may require a separate case for each NCP or CP. The CP and NCP Indicators tell you whether these adults matched on both states' interstate cases by participant type. It is important to check these indicators before reconciling other identified discrepancies.
Reason Code 00
Reason Code 00 means that all interstate case data matches. The ICR matching routine found the same case ID, county code, and case status in the other state as submitted by your state. Reason Code 00 also means your participant was found in the other state's case. If both the CP and NCP Match Indicators are set to 'Y', then no further action is required on this participant.
Congratulations, you can communicate smoothly on this case!
Reason Code 01
Reason Code 01 means that a matching interstate case could not be found in the other state's ICR file. However, this does not necessarily mean that case does not exist in the other state. The ICR matching routine may not have identified the case because:
- The other state does not identify its case as an interstate case,
- The other state overwrote your State's interstate action with information from subsequent interstate actions, or
- Your case contains an incorrect other state case ID, and your case or the other state's case contains no SSNs for any of the case participants.
Because each 'not found' case could represent a family that is not receiving appropriate services, states have been encouraged to reconcile their Reason Code 01 cases to the best of their ability. Beginning with ICR-10 in 2010, however, states are being encouraged to wait until they receive their responses from the ICR-FCR Supplemental Matches before reconciling these cases.
With the ICR-FCR Supplemental Match, which will be run shortly after the regular ICR match, all 'not found' cases will be matched against the other state's cases on the Federal Case Registry (FCR) in an attempt to identify the matching case. Each state will receive a supplemental response file detailing the information found on the FCR for any matching case. A cheat sheet for working with the data coming out of the ICR-FCR Supplemental Match has been created, and states are encouraged to consult that document for suggestions on reconciling these cases.
Reason Code 02
Reason Code 02 means that the case ID your state maintains for the other state is incorrect. However, a corresponding case in the other state was found based on matching a child SSN in common, or an adult SSN/Participant Type and child name in common, with your interstate case.
- Update the case with the correct other state case ID.
Reason Code 03
Reason Code 03 means that the 3-digit code for the county working the case in the other state is incorrect, and that a corrected county code has been provided.
- Several states submit cases showing 000 as their local county code for every case. Following each ICR, OCSE will generate a report indicating whether to update your system with the 000 for these states, or retain their county code already residing on your system.
Reason Code 04
Reason Code 04 tells you an open interstate case in your state matched to a closed interstate case in the other state.
When your state is the initiating state, your goal is to ensure that the case is appropriately worked, either by your state as an intrastate case, or by the other state. Ask these questions to help you determine the most effective action to take on your initiating interstate case:
- Has the responding state provided information on this case?
- Has the FCR already provided:
- FCR-to-FCR proactive matches from any state?
- NDNH information?
- Multistate FIDM information?
- Death information on the NCP?
- Do you need the assistance of another state to take the next required action on this case?
- Is money being processed through your state's system on this case?
- Is there a support order attached to this case?
- Are arrears owed to your state?
When your state is the responding state, and the corresponding interstate case is closed in the initiating state, examine whether either the CP or NCP has applied for IV-D services in your state. If not, can you close this case to IV-D following Federal case closure criteria?
Reason Code 05
Reason Code 05 tells you that a closed interstate case in your state matched to an open interstate case in the other state. OCSE recommends that the state with the open interstate case assume responsibility for reconciling this discrepancy.
Reason Code 06
Reason Code 06 means that your case was matched with a case in the other state, but a participant identified on your case could not be found in the other state's case. The ICR matching routine may not have identified the participant for the following reasons:
- A child in the other state has emancipated and was not reported in the other state's interstate file,
- A participant in the case was submitted without an SSN, or the SSN for the participant has transposed numbers, or a different SSN was submitted for the person, or
- A participant's name was misspelled or changed (e.g., maiden name to married name) in either case.
Ask these questions to help you determine the most effective action to take next:
- Is there information you need to provide to the other state to assist them in working this case more effectively?
- Is the missing person important to order establishment or modification?
- Is the missing person important to enforcement of your case?
Reason Code 07
Reason Code 07 means that your case was matched with a case in the other state, but you did not submit an SSN for the participant and the other state did. The other state's SSN is being provided for this participant in your case. A Verification Indicator shows whether the provided SSN has been verified by the Social Security Administration (SSA). SSA verifies name/SSN combinations for all participants receiving Reason Code 07.
- If the SSN provided by the other state has been verified by SSA, update your system with this participant's SSN.
- Ensure that participants whose SSNs have been provided by the other state via Reason Code 07 are submitted to the FCR. This will allow the FCR to verify the newly added SSN based on the person's name, SSN, DOB, sex, and available ESKARI data.
- If the provided SSN is for the NCP, is the NCP in Locate? If so, consider the appropriate enforcement actions that might be taken.
Reason Code 08
Reason Code 08 means that your state's case was matched with a case in the other state, but the SSN you provided for this participant did not match the SSN from the other state. The other state's SSN is being provided for this participant in your case. A Verification Indicator shows whether the provided SSN has been verified by the SSA. SSA verifies name/SSN combinations for all participants receiving Reason Code 08.
- If a different SSN is provided for a participant in your case, check to see if the SSN you have stored in your system has been verified. If the SSN you have on your system for this participant is unverified or invalid, add the other State's SSN for this participant if it has been verified.
- If the SSN you currently store for this participant has been verified, and the SSN provided by the other state is also verified, consider adding the other state's SSN as an alias SSN. This participant might legally have multiple verifiable SSNs.
- Ensure that participants whose SSN has been changed to the other state's SSN are submitted to the FCR. This will allow the FCR to verify the newly added SSN based on the person's name, SSN, DOB, sex, and available ESKARI data. This will permit you to benefit from all proactive matching available through the FCR.
- ICR Cheat Sheet.pdf (70.72 KB)