ACF Home      Children's Bureau      Law & Policies       Child Welfare Policy Manual  

Search the Child Welfare Policy Manual

Policy Area

Select Policy Areas

Printer-Friendly Versions
[This Subsection] [This Section] [Entire Manual]

Items that have been deleted can be seen by clicking the Deleted link.

3.1G  INDEPENDENT LIVING, Certifications and Requirements, Room and Board

Browse By Policy Area

Question 1.  
What is meant by "room and board" as used in section 477(b)(3)(B) of the Social Security Act? Is it intended to cover all cost items included in the title IV-E foster care maintenance payment definition? Would it also include such costs as rental deposits, rent, utilities, and household start-up purchases?

Question 2.  
Does the law at 477 (b)(3)(A) and (B) of the Social Security Act (the Act) allow "room and board" payments for youth between 18-21 years of age who are in a higher education situation?

Question 3.  
Can a State provide Chafee Foster Care Independence Program (CFCIP) funds to an organization for the purpose of acquiring real property under the statutory provision that permits limited room and board expenditures for former foster care children between the ages of 18 and 21?

Question 4.  
May a State use Chafee funds to provide room and board for youth (between the ages of 18-21) who voluntarily remain in foster care?



Home Back Top

Please send all comments and Web feedback to Feedback.