ACF Home      Children's Bureau      Law & Policies       Child Welfare Policy Manual  

Search the Child Welfare Policy Manual

Policy Area

Select Policy Areas

Printer-Friendly Versions
[This Subsection] [This Section] [Entire Manual]

Items that have been deleted can be seen by clicking the Deleted link.

8.3A.8a  TITLE IV-E, Foster Care Maintenance Payments Program, Eligibility, Facilities requirements, child-care institution

Browse By Policy Area

Question 1.  
When and under what conditions can a public agency or unit of government claim reimbursement under title IV-E for multiple facilities operated as licensed public child care institutions for 25 or fewer children?

Question 2.  
An inquiry from a State described a situation in which a local governmental unit is operating a residential child care facility that consists of several cottages on a common plot of land. One of the cottages, licensed by the State, has a licensed capacity of 25 or fewer children. Another cottage is also licensed, but for more than 25. The question is: are the costs of care in the cottage of 25 or less eligible for Federal financial participation (FFP), since it has an individual license and is not considered, for purposes of licensing, as a part of the other cottage housing more than 25 children?

(Updated 10/25/2016)

Question 3.  
What is the operative definition of the term "primarily" when used to describe a facility for the detention of children?

Question 4.  
Is Federal financial participation available for children placed in for-profit child-care institutions?

Question 5.  
If an otherwise eligible title IV-E child is placed in a child care institution that has locked living units for the child's benefit or safety, does this render the facility "physically restrictive," such that the child is ineligible for title IV-E?

Question 6.  
Under section 471(a)(10)(B) of the Act, there must be at least one "onsite official...designated to be the caregiver who is authorized to apply the reasonable and prudent parent standard" as a condition of a contract the title IV-E agency enters into with a child care institution. May the onsite official(s) be someone affiliated with the child's case (such as the child care institution's case manager for the child)?



Home Back Top

Please send all comments and Web feedback to Feedback.