ACF Home   »   Children's Bureau   »   Law & Policies    »   Child Welfare Policy Manual  

Search the Child Welfare Policy Manual

Policy Area

Select Policy Areas

Printer-Friendly Versions
[This Subsection] [This Section] [Entire Manual]

Items that have been deleted can be seen by clicking the Deleted link.

3.5C  Eligible Expenses and Institutions

Browse By Policy Area

Question 1.  
What type of institutions fall within the definition of "institution of higher education" for the purposes of the educational and training voucher program under section 477 of the Social Security Act?

Question 2.  
Section 477(i)(4) of the Social Security Act allows States to use educational and training vouchers to pay for the "cost of attendance" up to $5,000 per year. What is included in the definition of "cost of attendance?"

Question 3.  
What child care expenses are included in the definition of "cost of attendance" for the voucher program?

Question 4.  
If the State is paying for the "cost of attendance" for a student under the Educational and Training Voucher program, what are allowable transportation expenses under the definition of "cost of attendance?" May the State use funds from the voucher program to pay for expenses related to a student's personal vehicle?

Question 5.  
Can the State use funds awarded in the current fiscal year for the Educational and Training Voucher (ETV) program to pay all or a portion of a youth¿s educational or vocational student loans from previous years?

Question 6.  
There is a $5,000 per year maximum per youth for the Educational and Training Voucher fund. Does this maximum apply only to Federal funds? If so, can the State spend additional dollars from all-State funds or other sources for this purpose?

Question 7.  
Section 477(i)(4)(B) of the Social Security Act states that a voucher or vouchers provided for an individual "shall not exceed the lesser of $5,000 per year or the total cost of attendance, as defined in the Act." Does the $5,000 ceiling apply to an academic year, a Federal or State fiscal year, a calendar year or any 12-month period?

Question 8.  
Would a voucher be available for a youth to get an adult high school certificate or General Equivalency Degree (GED) at a community college?



Home Back Top

Please send all comments and Web feedback to Feedback.