Write a Strong Application
Most Funding Opportunity Annoucements (FOAs) will require applications to include a description of:
- Goals and objectives, which should be clearly defined and specific;
- Need, which includes both the need for the service or activity that the grant will support and your organization's track record in fulfilling such needs;
- Approach and impact, which clearly shows how you plan to achieve the purpose of the grant program. Whenever possible, this should include supporting data;
- Resources and capabilities, which describes the knowledge, staffing and fiscal capacity that your organization has in order to carry out your proposed project and meet the goals of the grant program;
- Budget, which is a realistic plan that matches your goals and objectives. It includes a narrative that justifies the costs.
Be concise and precise in describing your proposed grant activities. Remember, your application must adhere to the page limitations stated in the formatting information (Section IV.2) in the FOA.
Before You Submit
Your submission is final. You can't make edits or append any documents after submission. Be thorough in your review of your application, but do not wait until the last minute to submit. Late submissions are not accepted. Applicants should make every effort to submit their applications at least 24 hours before the application deadline.
- Check your application to make sure all required information requested is included. Check for spelling and correct calculations. In addition, check that the application adheres to page limitations, applications submission requirements (e.g., electronic applications must be submitted in only two separate files), and font and file-type requirements, as specified in Section IV.2. Content and Form of Application Submission of the FOA.
- Use the checklist provided in the FOA (Section VIII. Other Information) or create your own, but make sure that all required documents are included in the application package. Be sure that application elements are in the order specified in the FOA.
- Review the content and be sure you have addressed all the criteria with which your proposal will be scored.
The content on this page is for informational purposes and should not be construed as instructions for submitting an application. Please refer to the Funding Opportunity Announcement of interest for detailed instructions.