< Back to Search

CSBG Fact Sheet

Published: February 5, 2015
Community Services Block Grants (CSBG)
About, Fact Sheet



To support services and activities for low-income individuals that alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty in communities.

Legislative Authority:             

Community Opportunities, Accountability, and Training and Educational Services Human Services Reauthorization Act of 1998, P.L. 105-285.


In FY 2015, $674 million

In FY 2014, $667.9 million                                                 

In FY 2013, $635.1 million

Eligible Applicants:                 

U.S. States, territories, and federally-recognized tribes and tribal Organizations

Target Population:                  

Low-income families and individuals as well as low-income communities.


States must fund a network of local entities with 90% of their CSBG grant award.

Local entities that receive CSBG funds through the States include local governments, migrant and seasonal farm worker organizations, and Community Action Agencies (CAAs). These entities are required to provide services and activities addressing employment, education, better use of available income, housing, nutrition, emergency services and/or health. Services most often provided include employment training and placement, income management, education, emergency services, health, nutrition, transportation, and housing assistance, and providing linkages among anti-poverty programs.

Discretionary Grants – These funds are intended  to support technical assistance efforts of the CSBG program.  Eligible applicants include statewide or local organizations, or associations with demonstrated expertise in providing training to individuals and organizations on methods of effectively addressing the needs of low-income families, and communities and organizations that are officially designated as a CAA.

Type of Grant:                         

Block Grant

Program Requirements:         

States must pass through no less than 90% of their CSBG grant award.  Of the remaining 10%, States can use up to 5% for administrative and the remaining funds for projects that help accomplish the statutory goals of CSBG. States are also required to conduct a full on-site review of each local entity at least once every three years.

Program Highlights:                

Approximately 1,042 eligible entities receive CSBG funding annually.

Eligible entities leverage funds from other Federal sources, State and local governments and private sources.

In FY 2013, CSBG served 15.7 million individuals, or 6.7 million families. Of those served, 27 percent of the clients were children and 12 percent were persons 55 years of age and older.

Program Contact:                    

Community Services Block Grant, OCS

Division of State Assistance