OLAB Fact Sheet
The Office of Legislative Affairs and Budget provides leadership in the development of legislation, budget, and policy for the Administration for Children and Families. Our goal is to ensure consistency in these areas among program and staff offices, keeping in mind ACF’s overall mission of promoting the health and well-being of individuals and communities.
OLAB advises the assistant secretary for children and families on all policy and programmatic matters which substantially impact the agency’s legislative program, budget development, budget execution and regulatory agenda. The office serves as the primary contact for the department, the executive branch and the Congress on all legislative, budget development and execution and regulatory activities.
Brief History of the program
OLAB was approved on May 11, 2000, see Federal Register (Volume 65, Number 92)
What We Do
Our office includes two divisions:
- The Division of Budget is responsible for:
- Preparing all major ACF budget documents
- Coordinating execution of the entire ACF budget
- Forecasting budget authority needs, expenditures and outlays for mandatory spending and discretionary spending programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Foster Care and Adoption Assistance, Child Care Development Fund, Child Support Enforcement, Head Start and Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
- Working closely with program staff to integrate performance goals and measures into the budget process
- The Division of Legislative and Regulatory Affairs is responsible for:
- Coordinating the development of legislative proposals, including reauthorization of program funding
- Monitoring legislative activity related to ACF programs
- Responding to congressional requests, such as requests for technical assistance on legislation
- Preparing agency witnesses for congressional hearings
- Monitoring fulfillment of the ACF's regulatory and congressional reporting commitments
This is the funding table showing the actual dollars that Congress provided to ACF by program.
Amanda Barlow, Acting
Office of Legislative Affairs & Budget
330 C Street SW, Room 5020
Washington, DC 20201
Main Phone Number