No Cost Extension
No Cost Extension (NCE)
When can I request an NCE?
ANA awarded funding with the intention that all objectives would be completed within the approved timeframe; therefore, NCE requests must have strong justifications in order to be approved.
If you are behind in project activities, ANA can provide Technical Assistance (TA) through one of the regional TA offices. The TA providers can work with you on project management strategies to overcome challenges that are causing delays.
In exceptional cases, ANA can allow an extension period, at no cost to ANA, to allow grantees extra time to successfully complete project objectives.
Discussion with your ANA program specialist is critical if you are anticipating difficulty completing your project within the approved project period.
An NCE request cannot be made solely because there are unobligated funds remaining at the end of a project period.
When should I submit an NCE request?
Requests must be submitted prior to the end of the project period. The time frame for submitting requests can start 6 months prior to the project end date and no later than 45 days prior to the project end date.
Grantees that submit requests less than 45 days prior to the project period end date are not likely to receive approval and, if approved, may not receive notification of a decision prior to the project end date. Between the project end date and the notification of decision date, grantees are not officially authorized to work on project activities and cannot draw down funds.
What should the NCE request include?
- A request letter signed by the authorizing official requesting the NCE at no cost to ANA and identifying the length of the NCE and the new project period end date.
The request letter should address the following questions:
- Why is the extension needed?
- What objectives were not completed?
- How do they plan to complete the incomplete activities?
- Will they be using un-obligated funds from the budget period in the NCE period? If so, how much?
- An Objective Work Plan (OWP) which reflects the activities to be accomplished during the NCE. The OWP should include an additional column with the heading status. The status column should state either that the activity is completed or state the percentage of the activity that is completed and the expected completion date (assuming the NCE is approved). This must be done for the entire project period.
- SF-424 signed by the authorizing official noting the revised project period end date.
- A revised budget may be requested.
Where do I submit the NCE request?
A copy must be submitted to your ANA program specialist (mail, email or fax is acceptable).
ANA mail address:
Your ANA Program Specialist’s Name
Administration for Native Americans
Mail Stop: 2nd Fl. West Aerospace Center
370 L'Enfant Promenade SW
Washington, D.C. 20447-0002
See the attached sample No Cost Extension request.
- Sample NCE Request (54.04 KB)