Discretionary Grant Programs
The Children's Bureau uses a competitive peer review process to award discretionary grants for research and program development to state, tribal and local agencies; faith- and community-based organizations; and other nonprofit and for-profit groups. The following provides additional information about the Children’s Bureau’s discretionary grant programs:
- FY 2000-FY 2014 Discretionary Grant Awards - This document lists the Children's Bureau discretionary grant awards by year.
- Children's Bureau Discretionary Grants Library - The Discretionary Grants Library is an online tool that allows you to search for and view products and information related to specific Children’s Bureau grant projects.
- Discretionary Grant Outcomes and Lessons Learned - Site visit reports and syntheses of findings are available through this site.
- HHS Grants Forecast - This website provides forecasts for Children’s Bureau and other HHS funding opportunity announcements.
- Funding Opportunity Announcements - This website lists the full funding opportunity announcements for CB and other ACF discretionary grants. Summaries are published on Grants.gov.
- Children’s Bureau Discretionary Grant Toolkit - This toolkit provides additional information to Children’s Bureau grantees as they implement their projects.
Discretionary Grant Program Areas
- Adoption Opportunities - Helps eliminate barriers to adoption and find permanent families for children
- Child Welfare Training - Upgrades the skills and qualifications of child welfare workers
- Abandoned Infants Assistance - Provides funding for the development of comprehensive service programs for infants and their families
- Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act Discretionary Funds Program - Supports research and demonstration grants and training programs for preventing child maltreatment
- Community-Based Grants for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (CBCAP) - Supports selected Indian tribes, tribal organizations, and migrant programs in developing linkages with statewide CBCAP programs and/or providing services otherwise consistent with the purposes of CBCAP
- Infant Adoption Awareness Training Program - Trains designated staff of eligible health centers in providing adoption information and referrals to pregnant women on an equal basis with all other courses of action
- Promoting Safe and Stable Families (PSSF) Program - Supports a variety of services for families with children and is one of the few sources of federal funds directed toward the prevention of problems that bring families to the attention of the child welfare system.
- Family Connection Family Group Decision Making (FGDM) Report (2011) - Provides evaluation findings, as well as background information, about the Family Group Decision-making cluster of the 2011 Family Connection grants. The executive summary for the report is also available.
Last Reviewed: August 18, 2015