In order to establish federal laws, legislation must be enacted by Congress. Various pieces of legislation form the foundation for federal child welfare law, such as titles IV-B and IV-E of the Social Security Act.
The following resources provide information about federal child welfare legislation, including the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA):
- Index of Federal Child Welfare Laws - Since 1974, many laws have been passed by the U.S. Congress that impact children and families and the agencies that serve them. A list of selected laws is included.
- Major Federal Legislation Concerned with Child Protection, Child Welfare, and Adoption - This report summarizes the objectives and services mandated by key federal laws regarding child protection, child welfare, and adoption.
- CAPTA 2003 - This booklet presents CAPTA as amended by the Keeping Children and Families Safe Act of 2003.
- About CAPTA: A Legislative History - This document summarizes the legislative history and purpose of CAPTA, the key federal legislation addressing child abuse and neglect.
The following are examples of recently passed child welfare legislation:
- P.L. 112-34 - Child and Family Services Improvement and Innovation Act of 2011
- P.L. 111-320 - CAPTA Reauthorization Act of 2010
- P.L. 111-148 - Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- P.L. 110-351 - Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008
- P.L. 109-432 - Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006
- P.L. 109-288 - Child and Family Services Improvement Act of 2006
- P.L. 109-248 - Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006
- P.L. 109-239 - Safe and Timely Interstate Placement of Foster Children Act of 2006
- P.L. 109-171 - Deficit Reduction Act of 2005
- P.L. 109-113 - Fair Access Foster Care Act of 2005.
- P.L. 108-36 - The Keeping Children and Families Safe Act of 2003
- P.L. 107-133 - Promoting Safe and Stable Families Amendments of 2001
- P.L. 106-314 - Strengthening Abuse and Neglect Courts Act of 2000
- P.L. 106-279 - Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000
- P.L. 106-177 - Child Abuse Prevention and Enforcement Act, 2000
- P.L. 106-169 - Foster Care Independence Act of 1999
- P.L. 105-89 - Adoption and Safe Families Act of 1997
- P.L. 104-235 - Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act, as Amended, 1996
- P.L. 104-188 - Interethnic Adoption Provisions (IEPA) of the Small Business Job Protection Act of 1996