State & Tribal Child and Family Services Plan
In order to receive federal funding under title IV-B, a state or tribal agency requesting title IV-B funds must submit a 5-year Child and Family Services Plans (CFSP) and Annual Progress and Services Reports (APSRs). The CFSP is a strategic plan that sets forth a state’s or tribe’s vision and goals to strengthen its child welfare system. It outlines initiatives and activities that the state or tribe will carry out over the next 5 years to administer and integrate programs and services to promote the safety, permanency, and well-being of children and families. The APSR provides an annual update on the progress made by states or tribes toward the goals and objectives in their CFSPs and outlines the planned activities for the upcoming fiscal year.
The goals and objectives of the CFSP must address improved outcomes in the following areas:
- Permanency for children
- Well-being of children and their families
- The nature, scope, and adequacy of existing child and family and related social services
States or tribes must base the development of each subsequent 5-year CFSP on a final review of the accomplishments and identified needs from the previous CFSP, including any new information (45 CFR 1357.16(f)).
There are a number of programs covered by the CFSP and APSR, including the following:
- Stephanie Tubbs Jones Child Welfare Services program (Title IV-B, Subpart 1, Child Welfare Services)
- Promoting Safe and Stable Families (Title IV-B, Subpart 2)
- Monthly caseworker visits (funds)
- Training activities and costs to be funded through titles IV-B and IV-E
- Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA)
- Chafee Foster Care Independence (CFCIP) and Education and Training Vouchers (ETV) programs
Information on Developing a CFSP/APSR
State CFSP/APSR Toolkit - This toolkit provides resources to help states develop their CFSPs and APSRs.
Tribal CFSP/APSR Toolkit - This toolkit provides resources to help tribes develop their CFSPs and APSRs.
Information for Insular Areas - This Program Instruction provides information about the fiscal year 2009 submission of CFSPs, including submission rules for insular areas.
Information on Current and Prior CFSPs/APSRs
State CFSP/APSR Information - This webpage allows users to search state CFSPs and APSRs.
Tribal CFSP/APSR Information - This webpage allows users to search tribal CFSPs and APSRs.