For SACWIS/TACWIS Managers
This section contains information about the required SACWIS/TACWIS documentation and submissions, how to contact Division of State Systems analysts, how to request technical assistance, how to join our email list, and additional resources.
The Division of State Systems (DSS) has published information on a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to revise SACWIS/TACWIS regulations and to rename systems as Comprehensive Child Welfare Information Systems (CCWIS). Overview documentation for these changes is available below. The NPRM itself is in the Federal Register.
- The Comprehensive Child Welfare Information System Proposed Rule: Overview – This document provides an overview of CCWIS, where to submit comments, and key provisions of the NPRM.
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for The Comprehensive Child Welfare Information System (CCWIS) Frequently Asked Questions – This document provides answers to common questions concerning the CCWIS NPRM.
- ACYF-CB-IM-15-06 – This Information Memorandum informs state and tribal title IV-E agencies about the publication of the CCWIS NPRM and where to submit comments.
- The Comprehensive Child Welfare Information System (CCWIS) Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM): An Overview Presentation – This is an overview presentation on the CCWIS NPRM.
Our SACWIS Status page identifies each state's current SACWIS standing.
Our SACWIS Transfer Systems page identifies state’s system history.
The following contain basic information:
- APD 101 - The Advance Planning Document (APD) 101 PowerPoint describes the APD process as defined by Federal Regulation 45 CFR 95. A detailed overview of the types of APDs is given, as well as submission processes, review processes, approval processes, exemptions, cost-allocation methodology, and waivers. Additionally, some technical assistance suggestions and helpful resources are provided.
- SACWIS 101 - This presentation describes the federal requirements for a child welfare case management system to be called a SACWIS/TACWIS.
- CBA 101 - The Cost Benefits Analysis (CBA) 101 PowerPoint describes how to prepare a CBA as part of the feasibility study and alternatives analysis. Although States are no longer required to submit a CBA in their annual update, states must submit the CBA along with the Planning or Implementation APD.
After a state's automated child welfare system is operational, the Division of State Systems (DSS) conducts a review to assess the system's compliance to Federal regulations. SACWIS data are used to support the State’s policy and practice and their data requirements and Federal reporting, such as Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS), National Youth and Transition Database (NYTD), National Child Abuse and Data Set (NCANDS) and the Child and Family Services Review (CFSR) process.
Learn how to send a formal submission to the DSS analyst assigned to your state or tribe.
Child Welfare IT Managers Listserv
DSS maintains an automated SACWIS/TACWIS listserv to alert members about important SACWIS/TACWIS updates and monthly SACWIS/TACWIS Managers Conference Calls. Contact Jordan Panning to join the listserv.
The Child Welfare Technology Working Group (CWTWG) represents Child Welfare Information Technology projects and supports DSS’s efforts to provide guidance and technical assistance to State efforts to plan, develop, implement, operate, and maintain a child welfare information system.
Last Reviewed: October 22, 2015