Permanency Innovations Initiative (PII) Project Resources
Last Reviewed: June 24, 2015
The federal Permanency Innovations Initiative (PII) is a multi-site federal demonstration project designed to improve permanency outcomes among foster care children who have the most serious barriers to permanency. This 5-year, $100 million initiative includes six grantees, each with a unique intervention designed to help a specific subgroup of children leave foster care in fewer than three years.
PII aims to:
- Implement innovative intervention strategies, informed by the relevant literature to reduce long-term foster care stays and improve child outcomes.
- Use an implementation science framework enhanced by child welfare expertise to guide technical assistance activities.
- Rigorously evaluate the validity of research-informed innovations and adapted evidence-based interventions in reducing long-term foster care.
- Build an evidence base and disseminate findings to build knowledge in the child welfare field.
The project is distinguished by its provisions for rigorous evaluation, purposeful application of implementation science, and coordinated dissemination of findings.
PII Grantees and Contractors
This large-scale project has multiple stakeholders and includes six grantees each using a unique approach to address permanency.
- California Partners for Permanency (CAPP)
- Fostering Readiness and Permanency Project (FRP)
Illinois Trauma Focus Model for Reducing Long-Term Foster Care
- Project Overview (Illinois)
- Target Population Summary
- THEORY OF CHANGE: Illinois Trauma Focus Model for Reducing Long-term Foster Care
- What is PII? What is Target?
- Illinois Department of Children and Family Services' Trauma Affect Regulation Guide for Education and Therapy (TARGET) – A Youth’s Story
- Illinois Evaluation Overview
- Kansas Intensive Permanency Project (KIPP)
Nevada Initiative to Reduce Long-Term Foster Care
- PCFA Results Overview
- Washoe Service Provider Seminar
- Washoe County Department of Social Services Brochure
- Washoe County Department of Social Services' Nevada Initiative to Reduce Long-Term Foster Care – A Parent’s Story
- Adapting a Promising Multi-Faceted Child Maltreatment Preventive Intervention to Respond to Differences in Target Populations - Paper 4: Families with Children Determined to be Unsafe (SAFE-Family Connections)
- Washoe Evaluation Overview
Recognize Intervene Support Empower (RISE)
- RISE Initiative to Help LGBTQ Youth - Youth stories
- RISE Brave Space Poster
- Pathways to Permanency for LGBTQ Homeless and Foster Youth
- LGBTQ 101 (RISE Orientation) Presentation
- The Keys to Building Resiliency; The Importance of Emotional Support for LGBTQ Transitional Age Youth
- Care Coordination Team: Fidelity Feedback Loop Diagram
- Care Coordination Team: Essential Functions and Phases Diagram
- Care Coordination Team Essential Functions
- Outreach and Relationship Building Essential Functions
- Sexual & Gender Minority Youth in Los Angeles Foster Care - Executive Summary
- Sexual & Gender Minority Youth in Foster Care: Assessing Disproportionality and Disparities in Los Angeles - Full Report
- RISE Evaluation Overview
PII tests grantee programs and is building the child welfare evidence base by integrating evaluation research and implementation science through two teams of contractors.
- PII - Evaluation Team (PII-ET)
- PII - Training and Technical Assistance Project (PII-TTAP)
PII grantees, contractors, and federal partners have worked together to prepare and present a variety of resources intended to share information about the project.
- Case Study Permanency Innovations Initiative
- Data Mining Strategies to Refine Target Populations and Inform Intervention Selection – Sharing Experiences from the Permanency Innovations Initiative
- Exploring Case and Service Characteristics of Children in Long-Term Foster Care to Guide Organizational Decision Making for Implementing Practice and System Reforms
- Measuring the Implementation of Social Work Interventions: Options and Examples
- California Presentation on Strategies for Reducing Long-Term Foster Care Population
- Developing Interventions to Increase Permanency Part 1 – Operationalizing Interventions
- Developing Interventions to Increase Permanency Part 2 – Developing Fidelity Measures
- The PII Approach: Early strategies for Building and Evaluating Interventions, and Dissemination