OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2016 Policy Documents
- ‹ Previous Year
- Next Year ›
- June 7, 2016Provides Federal Register notice of the Open Comment Period for Administrative Subpoena and Notice of LienJune 2, 2016Resource guide on the 2008 amendments to UIFSA for state case workers and attorneysMay 27, 2016Provides information on the uniform guidance for tribal programsMay 20, 2016Reauthorization of the plan provides an opportunity to consider comments on the Tribal Direct Funding activityMay 5, 2016Announces the development of a Tribal Child Support Budget ToolboxApril 18, 2016Data and information represent a preliminary assessment of the program's progress towards goals and objectivesApril 15, 2016Provides guidance regarding allowable withholding when the noncustodial parent is paid weekly or biweeklyApril 8, 2016Announces the National Child Support Strategic Plan for FFY 2015-2019March 21, 2016DOJ resources to reform practices for assessing ability to pay as part of enforcement efforts to collect fees and finesMarch 9, 2016Provides timeframe guidance on distributing tax offsets referred for fraudMarch 8, 2016Extends the self-assessment reporting form until February 28, 2019March 4, 2016Provides answers to frequently asked questions about the state plan systemMarch 4, 2016Reminds states about the governor’s review requirement and submitting state plan amendmentsMarch 3, 2016Reminds tribes of the requirement for quadrennial reviews of the child support guidelinesMarch 2, 2016Provides states with 2016 Annual Certification Letter to be completed and returnedFebruary 22, 2016Process for tribal child support programs to access the Federal Parent Locator ServiceFebruary 10, 2016OCSE published Notice 81 FR 3147 on January 20, 2016 to synchronize the expiration date only for Part AFebruary 5, 2016FCRA was amended to allow IV-D to send VOE requests directly to third-party providers without sending notice to the NCPLast Reviewed: June 15, 2016