OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1992 Policy Documents
- December 31, 1992Provides an overview of current State efforts to streamline and expedite paternity establishmentDecember 28, 1992Requires process to review orders in IV-D cases within 36 months after establishment of order, with some exceptionsDecember 15, 1992Provides examples of State outreach campaigns regarding child support issuesNovember 20, 1992Final Rule revises the timeframes for distribution of the $50.00 pass throughNovember 20, 1992Specifies that Federal funding under the IV-D program is not available for the costs of guardians ad litem in IV-D casesNovember 17, 1992Three items of recently-enacted federal legislation which impact state IV-D programsOctober 9, 1992Alternative methods for establishing percent of children in caseload born out of wedlock and with paternity establishedSeptember 29, 1992Instructions for submitting requests to the SSA enumeration verification system to identify SSNsAugust 24, 1992State Plan pages 2.12-1 Income Withholding; 2.12-10-1, Review\Adjustment; 3.10, Notice of Collection of Assigned SupportAugust 13, 1992Information about contract to implement CSENet, a nationwide network for transmitting and receiving interstate casesAugust 12, 1992Transmits AT-92-01 outlining the billing procedure for submitting non-AFDC and other cases to the FPLSAugust 12, 1992Billing procedures for submitting cases without an assignment of rights (non-AFDC cases) to the FPLSAugust 6, 1992Instructions for submitting requests for collection of child support debts through the Federal tax refund offset programJuly 10, 1992Final rule on immediate income withholding; review and adjustment of orders; notice of assigned support collectedJuly 6, 1992Describes how Washington, Alaska, and Minnesota are reducing the gap between new hire reporting and income withholdingJune 6, 1992Final rule on State requests for information from the FPLS and reimbursement for cases with no assignmentMay 12, 1992Transmits a paper presenting a synopsis of research and demonstration projects related to paternity establishmentLast Reviewed: June 15, 2016