OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
1997 Policy Documents
- December 10, 1997Amendments to legislation related to qualified medical child support ordersDecember 1, 1997Provides the regulatory cite for the Access & Visitation program operational standardsNovember 20, 1997Provides interstate child support enforcement forms for administrative subpoena and notice of lienOctober 28, 1997NPRM for States to report quarterly wage and unemployment compensation claims data to the National Directory of New HiresOctober 21, 1997Provides instructions for State agencies on the distribution of child supportOctober 7, 1997Provides answers to questions about the new hire reporting requirements for multistate employersOctober 6, 1997Annoucement of Ireland becoming a foreign reciprocating country with all U.S. jurisdictions for child support on 9/10/1997October 2, 1997Announces new legislation relating to State Case Registries and the Federal Case Registry within the Taxpayer Relief ActOctober 1, 1997Announces the operational status of the National Directory of New Hires (NDNH)September 29, 1997Informs States of the temporary approval by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) of Form ACF-396September 15, 1997Requires States to establish and operate a State Disbursement Unit (SDU) for the collection and disbursement of paymentsSeptember 9, 1997Requests States submit State Plan Page 3.15 to comply with Federal requirements for State Directory of New HiresAugust 4, 1997Requests comments on the proposed minimum data elements for all State paternity acknowledgement affidavitsJuly 31, 1997Methods for approaching a special kind of interstate case, the "one-state interstate" caseJuly 30, 1997Addresses questions regarding the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act of 1996July 17, 1997Provides new and revised title IV-D State plan preprint pages, due Septemer 1997June 4, 1997Encourages States to use every available resource to facilitate family preservation and promote adoption
Instructions for Requesting an Exemption from Mandatory State Plan Provision in Section 454(27) of SSAMay 15, 1997Establishes the procedure for requesting an exemption from the requirement of a State dispursement unit in the State PlanMay 14, 1997Informs States of the reduction in FFP rates for the Child Support Enforcement programMay 2, 1997Provides States with federally approved standard CSE interstate child support enforcement formsApril 28, 1997Establishes procedures for disapproval of a State IV-D plan if a State fails to submit necessary amendmentsApril 16, 1997Provides the "Work First Guide--How to Implement an Employment Focused Approach to Welfare Reform"April 10, 1997Information about national organizations that accredit laboratories doing genetic testing for paternityMarch 13, 1997Provides a summary of a new incentive funding system for the child support enforcement program as mandated by PRWORAMarch 12, 1997Addresses questions regarding the NDNH and the State Directory of New Hires under provisions of PRWORAMarch 7, 1997Promotes collaboration between the child care and child support enforcement programsMarch 7, 1997Provides States with approved interstate forms, including Interstate Subpoena and Notice of Interstate Lien formsMarch 6, 1997Provides notes from UIFSA Retreat addressing issues and questions regarding UIFSA and NCCUSL drafting committee commentsMarch 5, 1997Provides a Report to Congress summarizing the results of eight access and visitation demonstration projectsFebruary 10, 1997Provides States with revised instructions for requesting an exemption from Section 466 of the Social Security ActFebruary 1, 1997Suggested format of revised and modified case numbers for electronic data exchange between state CSE agenciesJanuary 14, 1997Announces another record setting year for the Tax refund offset program resulting in over one billion dollars in collectionsJanuary 6, 1997Provides the calculation and recoupment of the Federal share of collections made on behalf of children in foster careLast Reviewed: June 15, 2016