OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2000 Policy Documents
- December 22, 2000Enables enrollment of employee and/or family in FEHBP pursuant to a court order when employee fails to provide coverageDecember 22, 2000Addresses paternity and medical support cooperation requirements for Medicaid applicants and recipientsDecember 18, 2000Releases updated interstate child support enforcement forms which were revised to be consistent with UIFSADecember 15, 2000Provides results from a study that examined the influence of staffing standards on performance of local child support officesDecember 14, 2000Issues revised procedures for the submission, review and apporval of State Plan pages and attachmentsDecember 12, 2000Final rule on State self-assessment as required by PRWORANovember 20, 2000Helps States identify laboratories that perform legally and medically acceptable genetic tests at reasonable costsNovember 13, 2000Reissuing the first edition of a guide titled, "Tips, Techniques, and Technology for Using FPLS Data"November 13, 2000Guidance for agencies who receive federal financial assistance on fulfilling responsibilities to persons with LEPNovember 1, 2000Describes NDNH data match for information on individuals in default on student loans or grants awarded by Dept. of EducationOctober 18, 2000Training program presents general information about the FPLS, as well as the components of family violence indicatorOctober 6, 2000Provides answers to questions related to the attachment of funds originating as Social Security benefitsOctober 2, 2000Reminds employers to leave the employee address field blank if the employee's address is unknownSeptember 25, 2000Provides public view into a variety of address types on the online Interstate Roster and Referral GuideSeptember 22, 2000Distributes the "Financial Institution Data Match Handbook for State Agencies"September 20, 2000Draft of the Order/Notice to Withhold Income for Child Support, dated 8-9-00, and instructions for your comments
Questions and Responses Regarding Collaborative Efforts: IV-D Agencies and Agencies Administering Welfare-to-Work ProgramSeptember 15, 2000Addresses policy questions regarding collaboration with agencies administering the Welfare-to-Work ProgramSeptember 14, 2000Clarifies the flexibility in setting support obligations and securing collections from low-income parentsSeptember 8, 2000Announces a 3-hour security course for managers to address their role in establishing security policies and proceduresSeptember 7, 2000Provides articles on FCR, NDNH, Income Withholding, and Approach to Family Violence for Non-TANF ApplicantsAugust 28, 2000Updates the "Automated Systems for Child Support Enforcement: A Guide for States" to comply with PRWORAAugust 25, 2000Releases a Judicial Bench Card on giving full faith and credit to protection orders issued by different jurisdictionsAugust 25, 2000Announces the approval of the revised Uniform Parentage Act by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State LawsAugust 22, 2000NPRM and interim final rule for Tribal Child Support Enforcement Programs under Section 455(f) of the Social Security ActAugust 21, 2000Provides information on the progress and accomplishments of the Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Program for FY 1998August 21, 2000Provides States with notice that a data reliability standard of 90 percent will be used to calculate incentives for FY 2000August 10, 2000Clarification of policy on case closure for interstate cases when the custodial parent's whereabouts are unknownAugust 10, 2000OCSE has implemented Lyris, a new tool for communicating with States via electronic mailing listsAugust 1, 2000Provides a copy of the Unemployment Insurance Program Letter regarding addresses on Quarterly Wage and New Hire reportsJuly 31, 2000Disseminates research findings from two studies on cost avoidance and State financing of CSE programsJuly 28, 2000Discusses ongoing collaboration between OCSE and the Head Start Bureau and urges States to renew their commitmentJuly 24, 2000Guidance on eliminating Full Locate functionality from State Child Support Enforcement (CSE) system and CSENet 2000July 24, 2000Provides Passport Denial procedures on removing obligors from passport denial processJuly 24, 2000Changes to processing bankruptcy notifications to ensure that OCSE, FMS and State databases are synchronizedJuly 14, 2000Disseminates the National Child Support Enforcement Strategic Plan for FY 2000 - 2004July 13, 2000Issues a Security Assessment Tool designed to help assess strengths and weaknesses on security issuesJune 29, 2000Directory includes persons ready to provide you with their expertise in thirty-three subject areasJune 29, 2000Announces revision to the State Plan preprint page 3.8-3, Automated Data Processing and Information Retrieval SystemJune 28, 2000Announces Federal reciprocity agreements under 42 U.S.C. 659A as of May 19, 2000June 16, 2000Glossary of common child support terms including a list of acronyms and definitions of terms used by child support workersJune 1, 2000A summary of successful child support program and organizational practicesJune 1, 2000Lists Multistate Financial Institutions (MSFIs) participating in the May 2000 data match processMay 30, 2000Transmits name, address, and contact information on all Welfare-to-Work (WtW) grantees to IV-D staffMay 25, 2000Announces the release of an OCSE developed course, "Processing Interstate/UIFSA Child Support Cases"May 23, 2000Announces the URL for accessing the new online system States may use to submit their reporting form OCSE-157May 22, 2000Notifies States of FCR information given to the IRS and possibility of being contacted to correct taxpayer informationMay 22, 2000Provides articles on Audit Process for New Hire Reporting, MSFIDM, Quarterly Wage, FV Indicator, NDNH, and FIDMMay 22, 2000Issues two parts 6 and 8 of the Federal Offset Program Users GuideMay 22, 2000Announces consideration to improve monitoring and enforcement of child support obligations of health care professionalsMay 8, 2000Guidance to assist States and local communities to improve Welfare-to-Work program operations and enhance collaborationMay 8, 2000Report on distribution of arrearages for former assistance families most affected by changes in distributionMay 8, 2000Provides an article published by the American Council of Life Insurance discussing the operation of the multistate FIDM programApril 14, 2000Clarification on the inclusion of the OMB control number and expiration date on the standardized IWO formApril 4, 2000New bi-lingual version of the Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) Handbook on child support enforcementMarch 31, 2000Revises recently released, DCL-00-25, Statistics in Brief: An Analysis of Full Time Equivalent Staff per State WorkloadMarch 29, 2000Requirements for the recording of Social Security Numbers (SSN) in certain family mattersMarch 15, 2000References addressing requirements for requesting FPLS data and for release of data from State child support systemsMarch 13, 2000Announces the release of the "State Child Access and Visitation Programs" report on data collected in 1997March 13, 2000Procedures for HHS consideration in approving FFP in state system acquisitions without prior approvalFebruary 29, 2000Provides guidance regarding timeframe for submitting revisions to OCSE-396A or OCSE-34AFebruary 25, 2000Provides articles on New Hire Reporting, Family Violence Indicator, FCR, automation of FPLS responses, and asset seizureFebruary 25, 2000Analysis of Full Time Equivalent Staff per State Workload for 1997-98February 15, 2000Results of research conducted to develop effective collection methods and improve collections from hard-to-collect casesFebruary 7, 2000Provides DFAS point-of-contacts for the re-direction of both garnishments and voluntary allotment paymentsJanuary 20, 2000Revised version of the Financial Distribution Test Deck Generator adds features to the help screenJanuary 19, 2000Provides information about the alternative financial penalty for states that fail to implement Sate Disbursement UnitsJanuary 13, 2000Instructions for obtaining and processing an FCR reconciliation fileJanuary 12, 2000Revised financial forms and instructions for OCSE-34A and OCSE-396A, for use through FY 2002January 11, 2000Distributes the User's Guide for the Online Interstate Roster and Referral GuideJanuary 3, 2000Revises and restricts eligibility for "hold harmless" payments to states originally enacted in PRWORALast Reviewed: June 15, 2016