OCSE proposes and implements national policy for the child support program. We provide guidance and training to help states and tribes develop and operate their individual programs according to federal laws and regulations.
Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2010 Policy Documents
- December 29, 2010Final rule for Safeguarding Child Support Information which revises aspects of the State Parent Locator ServiceDecember 17, 2010Guidance on how to handle the cost of genetic tests in intergovernmental child support casesDecember 15, 2010Announces the release of the OCSE video commemorating the 35th Anniversary of the National Child Support ProgramDecember 8, 2010Enhancements to the FPLS including the Federal Offset system and e-IWODecember 6, 2010Proposes changes and requests comments to the National Medical Support Notice Form – Part BNovember 18, 2010Establishes State flexibility to use alternative methods to provide monthly notice of assigned collectionsNovember 12, 2010Requests public comment on the State Plan and OCSE-21-U4 transmittal formNovember 4, 2010Announces State flexibility to update medical support policy and guidelines to enhance collaboration with Medicaid and CHIPOctober 28, 2010Final Rule revises APD requirements for obtaining FFP for the cost of automated data processing equipment and servicesOctober 21, 2010Responds to questions regarding non-IV-D activities that qualify or do not qualify for Federal Financial ParticipationOctober 12, 2010Addresses concerns regarding UIFSA due to Senate approval of Resolution of Advice and Consent under Hague ConventionOctober 8, 2010Reminder to state agencies to submit Annual Data Reports on-time and to submit corrections to FY 2009 reportsOctober 1, 2010Occurences that may trigger the need for a Tribal program to submit a plan amendmentOctober 1, 2010Voluntary use of the standard verification of employment (VOE) response form
Resubmission of State Plan Pages to Indicate Compliance with Intergovernmental Child Support Final RuleSeptember 27, 2010Instructs states to resubmit State preprint pages 2.6 and 2.15 to indicate compliance with Intergovernmental Final RuleSeptember 24, 2010In FY2008, the Division of Mandatory Grants, with concurrence of OCSE, proposed changes to budgetary guidelines for tribal grantees, including new staffingSeptember 21, 2010Issues data submission requirements for FY 2010 OCSE Data Reliability AuditsSeptember 19, 2010Provides the 2010 updated Publication 1075, Tax Information Security Guidelines for Federal, State and Local AgenciesSeptember 3, 2010Requests feedback on the proposed approach for improving the Income Withholding Order process
FPLS Safeguarding Certification & Federal Collections and Enforcement Programs Annual Certification LettersAugust 13, 2010Distributes 2010 FPLS Safeguarding Certification and FCE Programs Annual Certification LettersAugust 12, 2010Provides instructions for completing Form OCSE-75, the Tribal Child Support Enforcement Annual Data Report FormAugust 2, 2010Updated contact information for issues related to international child support enforcementJuly 22, 2010Provides answers to questions posed about the Model Tribal System final rule and assessing tribal automation optionsJuly 12, 2010Welcomes the Eastern Shoshone Business Council as a comprehensive Tribal IV-D programJuly 6, 2010Webinar to provide information on the Model Tribal System (MTS) Sandbox prior to the release of the full versionJuly 2, 2010Request for comments on the proposed National Medical Support Notice (NMSN) Form - Part AJuly 2, 2010Announces the final rule revising federal requirements for establishing and enforcing intergovernmental support obligationsJuly 1, 2010Announces the release of the proposed Income Withholding for Support (IWO) Form and requests commentsJune 11, 2010Announces an extension issued by OMB on the use of the Annual State Self-Assessment Report Form through 6/30/2013June 11, 2010Updates AT-99-14 regarding Tax Refund Offset, Administrative Offset, Passport Denial, MSFIDM, and Insurance Match programsJune 10, 2010Shares the National Child Support Guiding Principles and Strategies Working Document, important to strategic planningJune 10, 2010Announces the NPRM proposing requirements for State Parent Locator Service and safeguarding confidential information
States Harmless from Penalties for Failure to Comply with Medical Support Final Rule State Plan RequirementsJune 7, 2010Announces State agencies are free from penalties for failure to comply with medical support final rule in State PlansMay 27, 2010Clarifies issues regarding Tribal access to the FPLS and federal tax refund offsetMay 12, 2010Enhancements to the FPLS including CSENet, FCR, Insurance Match, IRG, ICR, and the SSPApril 16, 2010Informs Tribal Directors that the final notice regarding the OCSE-75 was published to the Federal RegistrarApril 16, 2010Webinar on the Computerized Tribal IV-D Systems and Office Automation final rule and tribal system expenditures trainingApril 16, 2010Legislative cite and section for the Access and Visitation ProgramApril 13, 2010Announces the open comment period for administrative subpoena and notice of lien forms used in interstate casesMarch 22, 2010Requests public comments on the standard interstate formsMarch 19, 2010Provides information on the TANF Emergency Fund for Noncustodial Parents to reduce or pay off child support arrearagesMarch 8, 2010Provides IRS security and safeguarding requirements and the appropriate steps needed to ensure the proper handling of FTIMarch 8, 2010Provides Federal Offset Collections Report OCSE Cycle 2010-05 and administrative payment offsetsMarch 8, 2010Reminder that State child support enforcement agencies must submit their annual Safeguard Activity Report to the IRSMarch 8, 2010Updates States on progress of acquiring entitlement and allotment data from DoD for requests from state CSE agenciesMarch 8, 2010Announces the release of the Child Access and Visitation Grants: State/Jurisdiction Profiles for FY 2008March 1, 2010Logistical information for 2010 trainings on final tribal systems ruleFebruary 26, 2010Final Rule enables comprehensive tribal child support programs to apply for and recieve FFP for automated data processingFebruary 2, 2010Provides a matrix of current State statutes and policies related to private child support collection agencies (PCA)January 13, 2010Provides the Federal Offset Collections Report for OCSE Cycle 2009-25Last Reviewed: June 15, 2016