A Caseworker's Guide for Cases with Foreign Reciprocating Countries
- Information About:
- State/Local Child Support Agencies
- Case Management, International
- Guides/Publications/Reports, Policy, Information Memorandums (IM)
- Foreign Reciprocating Countries (FRC), International Caseworker's Guide
DATE: December 23, 2003
TO: State Agencies Administering Child Support Enforcement Plans under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act and Other Interested Parties
SUBJECT: New Issuance - A Caseworker's Guide to Processing Cases with Foreign Reciprocating Countries
ATTACHMENT: Attached is a copy of the Caseworker's Guide to International Reciprocity. It is a reference tool providing basic information to child support workers on how to process actions with other countries that have been declared to be foreign reciprocating countries (FRCs) under section 459A of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 659A).
The Guide includes a background perspective on international reciprocity, general instructions on handling international cases, and best practice tips. The publication will be supplemented over time with an appendix for each FRC that contains:
- Country-specific information and forms that IV-D agencies may use to send to some FRCs,
- Bilingual international forms, similar to the OCSE-issued UIFSA forms, which may be used when working with non-English-speaking countries,
- A synopsis of the most relevant child support policy for FRCs.
The first installment of this Guide focuses on four countries for which English may be used to exchange information. The Guide (in appendix 3) includes the specific information and forms for Australia. The Guide also covers (in appendix 4) the specific information about the forms that may be used with Ireland, Norway and the Netherlands. Appendix 4 also includes copies of the international forms that these countries will be sending to IV-D agencies.
It is our intention that this Guide will become a permanent resource for child support caseworkers, as we intend to add appendices to it for Canadian Provinces and non-English-speaking FRCs in the near future. We will also add appendices as additional countries are declared FRCs with the United States.
INQUIRIES: Questions about this Guide should be directed to the OCSE Division of Policy or to your ACF Regional Office.
Sherri Z, Heller, Ed.D.
Office of Child Support Enforcement
- A Caseworker's Guide to processing cases with FRCs.doc (86.5 KB)
- Appendix 1_Addresses-Contacts for FRCs.doc (65.5 KB)
- Appendix 2_Declarations and Agreements with Australia, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway.zip (40.56 KB)
- Appendix 3_Forms, Policy, and Other Documents for Working cases with australia.zip (192.37 KB)
- Appendix 4_Forms, Policy, and Other documents for working cases with netherlands, norway, ireland.doc (56 KB)
- Appendix 5_International Forms Set.zip (611.75 KB)