Federal Case Registry (FCR) Interface Guidance Document
- Information About:
- State/Local Child Support Agencies
- Federal Systems, Federal Case Registry (FCR)
- Guides/Publications/Reports, Technical References
- Debt Inquiry, External Locate, Federal Systems User Guides, Location Systems, Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA), Social Security Number (SSN)
The purpose of this Federal Case Registry (FCR) Interface Guidance Document (IGD) is to provide IV-D agencies with information on the technical aspects of establishing and maintaining the interfaces needed between their statewide automated systems and the FCR. Although the primary audience is the IV-D agency technical staff, this document provides basic information to assist IV-D administrative and programmatic/policy staff in understanding the functionality of the FCR. In brief, the IGD provides:
- an overview of the Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS),
- an explanation of the FCR system,
- detailed information regarding FCR processing of State data,
- technical information for submitting and receiving data, and
- guidance on the use of FCR data.
The IGD is written in a manner to make location of information as easy as possible. This document is divided into ten parts. The following descriptions provide a summary of the information contained in each section and the objective of each section.
The Executive Summary provides a high-level summary of the FPLS. The objective of this section is to provide IV-D directors and administrators with a working knowledge of the FCR and to refer them to other documents and resources that may assist in gaining additional information.
Part 1, “FPLS Overview”, provides detailed information regarding the FPLS, including an overview of the laws and regulations that are relevant to the FPLS, a description of the FPLS, FCR and National Directory of New Hires (NDNH) functionality, and a discussion of the benefits of the FCR for interstate case processing. The objective of this section is to provide a more detailed overview of the FPLS that will assist IV-D agencies in understanding the FPLS. This section focuses on the FCR requirements and functionality.
Part 2, “System Integration Strategies”, discusses strategies for integrating FCR functionality within State systems. This section also discusses case management, system processing of FCR data, and CSENet support of FCR interstate data. The objective of this section is to provide the IV-D agencies with information that assists the programmatic/policy staff and the technical staff in understanding the scope and volume of data that is involved in the FCR and State Case Registry (SCR) interface, and to offer suggestions on managing the processing of this data.
Part 3, “Data Transmission Method”, provides detailed information on the method of data transmission to and from the FCR. The objective of this section is to provide detailed information for successful transmission of data to the FCR and successful receipt of data from the FCR.
Part 4, “FCR Transactions”, describes the FCR transactions that the State transmits to the FCR and the transactions that are returned from the FCR. This section discusses the transaction layouts and data elements and provides examples of FCR transactions. The objective of this section is to provide IV-D agency technical staff with an overview of the transactions that are involved in the FCR/SCR interface. This section provides information regarding the record layouts, although the layouts are not included in this section. Appendix G (input records) and Appendix H (output records) contain the actual transaction record layouts.
Part 5, “FCR Transaction Procedures”, discusses the processing that takes place that affects FCR transactions. This section contains detailed information on the common processes of the FCR, the Social Security Number (SSN) identification and verification and the Acknowledgement and Error/Warning Responses. The objective of this section is to provide IV-D agency technical staff with the appropriate information regarding the responses that are returned from the FCR. This section discusses the Error/Warning Responses. Appendix J, “Error Messages,” contains the actual error codes.
Part 6, “FCR Transaction-Specific Information”, provides detailed information regarding each FCR transaction, including the State action that initiates the SCR-to-FCR transaction, FCR-to-SCR return transaction and the recommended response the SCR should take upon receipt of FCR information. The objective of this section is to provide the appropriate information to IV-D agency technical staff for programming of the FCR/SCR interface, as well as to provide IV-D agency programmatic/policy staff with guidance concerning the required actions.
Part 7, “OCSE FCR Functions”, describes the functions that the FCR performs specifically for the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE). It also outlines the off-line process a State uses to request information from OCSE. The objective of this section is to provide IV-D agencies with an understanding of the OCSE-only functions and how the State can request information from OCSE.
Part 8, “Management Information”, provides detailed information regarding the Management Information (MI) reports available to the States and OCSE. The objective of this section is to provide an overview of the reports to assist the States in effectively using the data.
Part 9, “System Access, Security and Privacy”, discusses data access, privacy issues and system security. The objective of this section is to provide IV-D agencies with guidance on who may access FCR and SCR data, and to review IV-D privacy and system security requirements.
Part 10, “Additional FCR Functions”, describes significant new functionality that has been added to the FCR since it was implemented, such as FCR SSA Death Master File Processing, the FCR Data Inconsistency File, SSA’s State Verification and Exchange System (SVES), and the FPLS functions that are performed for the data match with Multistate Financial Institutions. This section includes a description of the Multistate Financial Institution Data Match (MSFIDM) process and the interface with the Federal Offset Program. The objective of this section is to provide the appropriate information to IV-D agencies’ technical staff for programming the FCR/SCR interface for the data that is returned from these additional processes.
The Appendices include numerous sections that outline requirements of the FCR, describe codes and detailed record layouts, and present other information to assist States in interfacing with the FCR.
- FCR IGD Executive Summary.pdf (83.63 KB)
- FCR IGD Summary of Changes.pdf (95.73 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 1 - FPLS Overview.pdf (106.31 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 2 - System Integration Strategies.pdf (187.29 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 3 - Data Transmission Method.pdf (134.61 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 4 - FCR Transactions.pdf (270.07 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 5 - FCR Transaction Procedures.pdf (180.9 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 6 - FCR Transaction - Specific Information.pdf (1.79 MB)
- FCR IGD Part 7 - OCSE FCR Functions.pdf (30.51 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 8 - Management Information Reports.pdf (22.56 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 9 - System Access, Security and Privacy.pdf (213.97 KB)
- FCR IGD Part 10 - Additional FCR Functions.pdf (90.53 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix A Acronyms List.pdf (53.56 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix B List of Organizations.pdf (15.07 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix C Glossary of Terms.pdf (42.33 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix D Technical Support.pdf (56.46 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix E Data Dictionary.pdf (1.3 MB)
- FCR IGD Appendix F State and Terriorty Abbreviations.pdf (38.59 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix G Input Transactions.pdf (594.04 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix H Output Transactions.pdf (1.55 MB)
- FCR IGD Appendix I Transaction Timeframes.pdf (24.7 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix J Error Messages.pdf (134.04 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix K SCR-FCR Transactions and Responses.pdf (89.55 KB)
- FCR IGD Appendix L Revision History.pdf (119.46 KB)