Final Rule: Safeguarding Child Support Information
- Information About:
- State/Local Child Support Agencies, Tribal Child Support Agencies
- State Systems
- Policy, Action Transmittals (AT), Regulations
DATE: December 29, 2010
TO: State and Tribal Agencies Administering Child Support Enforcement Plans Under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act and Other Interested Individuals
SUBJECT: Final Rule: Safeguarding Child Support Information
ATTACHMENT: 81894 Federal Register - Vol. 75, No. 249
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA) created and expanded state and federal child support databases under title IV-D of the Social Security Act and significantly enhanced access to information for title IV-D child support purposes. States have moved toward more integrated service delivery to better serve the families and further the mission of the child support program, while protecting confidential data. This final rule revises certain aspects of the State Parent Locator Service; Safeguarding Child Support Information Final Rule published on September 26, 2008 and effective December 30, 2010 in three major areas.
- It prohibits disclosure of confidential and personally identifiable information to private child support collection agencies.
- It addresses release of information to IV-B and IV-E agencies to assist state child welfare agencies in carrying out their program responsibilities to locate relatives for potential placement of a child removed from parental custody in response to changes made by the Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act. We will work closely with our partners in the Children’s Bureau and the Family Violence Prevention and Services Program as we implement the rule in the coming year.
- It allows the disclosure of information, including child support payment records, to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in response to changes made by the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008.
REFERENCES: 45 CFR Parts 301, 302, 303 and 307
EFFECTIVE DATE: December 30, 2010
INQUIRIES TO: ACF/OCSE Regional Program Managers
Office of Child Support Enforcement
- 81894 Federal Register - Vol. 75, No. 249.pdf (108.82 KB)