NPRM: Child Support Enforcement Program; Intergovernmental Child Support
DATE: December 11, 2008
TO: State and Tribal Agencies Administering Child Support Enforcement Plans under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act and other Interested Individuals
SUBJECT: Notice of Proposed Rulemaking: Child Support Enforcement Program; Intergovernmental Child Support
ATTACHMENT: Attached is a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, published in the Federal Register on December 8, 2008 (73 FR 74408), which prescribes State Child Support Enforcement (IV-D) Program requirements for establishing paternity and support orders and enforcing support orders in intergovernmental IV-D cases. See: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2008-12-08/pdf/E8-28812.pdf#page=1
SUMMARY: This proposed rule applies to State IV-D programs and:
- addresses case processing in appropriate intergovernmental cases (Tribal and international cases in addition to interstate IV-D cases);
- clarifies initiating State agency and responding State agency responsibilities;
- clarifies responsibility for determining the controlling child support order where multiple orders exist;
- recognizes electronic communication advancements; and
- makes conforming changes to 45 CFR 305.63 (Standards for determining substantial compliance with IV-D requirements) and 45 CFR 308.2 (State self-assessment requirements).
REFERENCES: 45 CFR Parts 301, 302, 303, 305, and 308
COMMENTS: Consideration will be given to comments received by February 9, 2009. Address comments to: Office of Child Support Enforcement, Administration for Children and Families, 370 L'Enfant Promenade, SW, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20447. Attention: Director, Division of Policy, Mail Stop: OCSE/DP.
INQUIRIES: ACF OCSE Regional Program Managers
Office of Child Support Enforcement