What Employers Should Know When Working with Tribes
Child Support Employer Outreach - Fact Sheet
- Information About:
- Tribal Child Support Agencies, Employers
- Employer Responsibilities, Income/Wage Withholding, National Medical Support Notice, New Hire Reporting, Verification of Employment
- FAQs, Guides/Publications/Reports, Outreach/Brochures
There are more than 560 federally recognized American Indian/Alaska Native tribes in the U.S. According to the 2000 census, more than 30 percent of all Native American children under the age of 18 live with one parent.
Questions commonly arise when employers are working with tribes, such as:
- Do tribes have their own child support programs?
- Where do I send payments for an IWO that comes from a tribe?
- Do tribes have their own laws?
- Must I honor a request for employment verification from a tribe if I am not a tribal employer or located on tribal land?
Click on the file below to view answers to these questions and more.