Be Prepared for Storm Season
With tornado and hurricane season here again, the Family and Youth Services Bureau (FYSB) encourages all its grantees to be prepared for extreme weather. The following disaster planning and response resources might help:
Before a Disaster
- Download FYSB’s free disaster planning manual, “Ready for Anything.”
- Download a booklet on Family Preparedness from ACF’s Office of Human Services Emergency Preparedness & Response.
During or After a Disaster
- Find a shelter by texting SHELTER + your ZIP code to 43362 (the Federal Emergency Management Agency), or search for Red Cross Shelters online.
- Victims of disasters can register for government assistance. Learn more information and read the FAQs before you apply.
- Get emergency prescription assistance from the Department of Health and Human Services.
- List youth and families, or your organization, as “safe and well” and search for youth, family members and coworkers on the Red Cross’s list.
- For counseling and support to individuals in distress related to disaster, call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s disaster distress helpline at 1-800-985-5990.
- For storm health updates, follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s emergency feed on Twitter.