National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence
For over 16 years, FYSB’s Family Violence Prevention and Services Program has funded the National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence (HRC) which serves as the nation’s clearinghouse for information on the health care response to domestic violence and provides training and technical assistance to thousands of people each year. The HRC offers model strategies and tools to health professionals and domestic violence/sexual assault (DV/SA) programs to address and prevent the chronic health issues and injuries associated with exposure to abuse.
Each year, the HRC trains over 4,600 providers and distributes hundreds of thousands of patient and provider education materials to over 22,000 professional nationwide as well as providing in depth individual technical assistance to over 1,500 people a year.
The HRC has safety cards that can be given to patients or placed in the clinic or other health care setting. In addition, see their website to access other training resources and e-learning CME modules on the overview of domestic violence, preparing your practice, primary care, and confidentiality. Training resources have also been developed on specific settings and specialties such as mental health, reproductive health, urgent care, pediatrics, adolescent health, STI/HIV, and home visitation. Finally, the HRC has tools for health professionals and domestic violence/sexual assault (DV/SA) such as:
- National Consensus Guidelines on Identifying and Responding to Domestic Violence Victimization In Health Care Settings
- Reproductive Health and Partner Violence Guidelines: An Integrated Response to Intimate Partner Violence and Reproductive Coercion
- Hanging Out or Hooking Up: Guidelines for Adolescent Health Providers on Adolescent Relationship Abuse
- Healthy Moms, Happy Babies: A Train the Trainers Curriculum on Domestic Violence, Reproductive Coercion and Children Exposed
- Safety cards for adolescent health, reproductive health, primary care and home visitation programs
- Training tools and videos
- Posters and other provider tools
To access these materials or if you need technical assistance, please contact the National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence, funded by the Family Violence Prevention and Services Program at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The HRC provides free technical assistance and web-based and in-person training at 415.678.5500 or email@example.com.
Last Reviewed: June 11, 2015