No-Cost Extension Tip Sheet
Last Reviewed: June 9, 2014
No Cost Extensions (NCE) are requested to complete activities of the grant in the final year of the project period.
- Requests are not approved merely for the purpose of using unobligated balances.
- Requests should be made 45 days prior to the end of the project period and are one-time extensions of the expiration date up to 12 months.
- The no-cost extension does not authorize additional spending on any new activities beyond the purposes consistent with the original award.
The request should include the following information:
Cover letter signed by Authorizing Official that includes
Revised Expiration date
- Indicate new end date
- Indicate number of months
Supporting reasons for the request
- Provide a description of approved grant activities that remain unmet as they relate to approved goals and objectives.
- State activities originally planned (in final year) but not yet met.
- Clearly indicate that the funds will be used to complete activities which were approved, but not completed by midnight on the final day of the budget period, as allocated in the final budget of record.
- Include unexpended federal funds that were not expended during the final budget year.
- OGM will check your account in the Payment Management System (PMS). PMS should reflect a balance that can substantiate your request.
All SF-425’s and Program Progress Reports from previous and current budget periods must be on file.
- Submit current SF-425 with your request (even if already filed).
- Submit any missing or delinquent reports
- No Cost Extension Tip Sheet (51.31 KB)