New Crib Standards to Go Into Effect
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)’s new crib rules apply to cribs currently in use at child care centers and places of public accommodation. By December 28, 2012, these facilities must use only compliant cribs that meet the new federal safety standard. For more information about the new standards and what they mean for you, take some time to read the resources below:
- The Office of Child Care issued an Information Memorandum related to the standard on December 7, 2012.
- CPSC has created a Crib Information Center website where you can find detailed information about the latest crib regulations, videos and free flyers.
- CPSC has also created a Q &A page that includes answers questions regarding portable cribs, play yards and medical devices.
- CPSC has developed a flyer specifically for child care providers: “Child Care Providers: Your Guide to the New Crib Standards”.
- Healthy Child Care America has also hosted safe sleep webinars that address some of the questions that providers have regarding safe sleep and crib regulations. Those webinars are archived at the Healthy Child Care America website.
- For more information about play yards, visit the CPSC Standards for Play Yards webpage.