JOLI Fact Sheet
Job Opportunities For Low-Income Individuals
Office of Community Services
Administration for Children and Families
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Purpose:To foster the economic self-sufficiency of the targeted populations by creating new jobs for low-income individuals through business plans and the provision of technical and/or financial assistance to private employers in the community.
Uses: Grants are awarded for project costs for
- Startup or expansion of businesses;
- Self employment/micro-enterprise projects
- Capital expenditures such as the purchase of equipment, however, funds may not be used for construction and purchase of real property;
- Allowable operating expenses; and
- Loans or equity investments.
Type of Grant: Competitive discretionary grants.
Eligible Applicants: Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) or a 501(c)(4) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education. Faith-based organizations are eligible to apply for this program.
Appropriations: In FY 2011, $ 1.6 million.
Authority: Section 505 of the Family Support Act of 1988 (P.L. 100-485), as amended by Section 112 of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, (P.L. 104-193).
- There were four grants awarded in FY 2011 that are expected to support about 186 jobs. Projects have three years to complete implementation.
- In 2011, the JOLI program strongly encouraged applicants to propose projects that support child care and early childhood education as such projects create jobs for low-income participants and support other working families. In addition, OCS would encourage projects that coordinate support services for participants with a program that provides Individual Development Accounts.
- Grant award were a maximum level of $290,000 and funds may cover project costs for business start-up or expansion and the development of new products and services.
- Types of projects funded include micro-enterprises in such industries as: child care, health care, catering services, property management, and Green jobs.