RCD Fact Sheet FY 2013
Rural Community Development
Office of Community Services
Administration for Children and Families
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Purpose: Rural Community Development Program: To provide training and technical assistance to low-income rural communities in developing and managing affordable, safe water and wastewater treatment facilities.
Rural Community Development/Homeland Security Program: To provide safety and security training and technical assistance to State, regional and national infrastructure regarding water and wastewater treatment systems.
Uses: Grants are awarded for project costs for
- To provide safety and security training and technical assistance
- To improve coordination among Federal, state and local; agencies in water waste management;
- To improve the capacity of small and very small systems to better prepare for emergencies; and
- To develop emergency preparedness for small water systems.
Type of Grant: Competitive discretionary grants.
Eligible Applicants: Multi-state, regional, private, non-profit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations.
Appropriations: In FY 2012, $ 4.9 million.
Authority: Section 680 (a)(3)(B) of the Community Services Block Grant Act, as amended; Coats Human Services Reauthorization Act of 1998 (P.L. 105- 285)
- There were 8 grants awarded in FY 2012, including two tribal entities. Projects have five years to complete implementation.