Responsible Fatherhood Initiative
Responsible Fatherhood Initiative
The Responsible Fatherhood Initiative encourages fathers to be present in their children’s lives by taking an active and responsible role in raising and supporting them. We have promoted father involvement and services to fathers through program, policies, grants, and technical assistance to states, tribes, grantees and faith-based and neighborhood organizations.
Find Region VI Grantees
Use our Interactive Healthy Marriage and Responsible Fatherhood Map to find current and previously funded grantees in your area.
- National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse – The Clearinghouse serves as a resource for responsible fatherhood information, designed to promote and encourage the appropriate involvement of fathers in the lives of their children. The Clearinghouse provides access to curricula, webinars, research products, and other resources to improve the implementation and success of their programs.
- White House Report “Promoting Responsible Fatherhood” – June 2012
- Responsible Fatherhood Toolkit - A key component of a fatherhood program is teaching and supporting healthy communication skills. The Responsible Fatherhood Toolkit Activities Section has some examples of activities from nationally recognized curriculum to download and use with your dads and families.
- Fatherhood Buzz – Neighborhood barbershops are a trusted space to discuss personal and public issues, ranging from family to politics, health, money, and other life issues. Fatherhood Buzz is an effort to increase awareness around responsible fatherhood and parenting issues, and increase families access to support through local barbershops throughout the country. Fatherhood Buzz events take place up to four times throughout the year, typically on Saturdays.
- Women in Fatherhood (Louisiana) – comprised predominantly of women with direct or indirect professional involvement in the responsible fatherhood field. Their mission is to contribute to and advocate for family and community well-being through the support of positive father involvement and healthy family relationships
- REEL Fathers (New Mexico) – inspiring men to build loving, committed relationships with their children through the dynamic use of film, story, reflective dialogue and skill building
- Young Fathers Project (New Mexico) – a program that helps young fathers under the age of 26
- Oklahoma Father Consortium - providing comprehensive prevention, education, and treatment to the community
- Texas Fatherhood Coalition of Tarrant County – a collaborative partnership consisting of over 20 organizations committed to promoting responsible fatherhood in Tarrant County
- Strong Fathers, Strong Families – a training, technical assistance, and facilitation organization that is focused on strengthening children by strengthening fathers and families.
- National Fatherhood Initiative – dedicated to giving our nation’s children a brighter future by educating and engaging fathers
- Fathers and Families Coalition of America – the national hub for fatherhood and family service, early childhood educators, faith-based ministries, and professionals working with children and parents
- National Partnership for Community Leadership – supporting, strengthening, and empowering families and communities through education, organizational development, research and policy reform
- Dads At A Distance – designed to help fathers who have to be away from their children maintain and strengthen those relationships
- Divine Alternatives for Dads Services – a community-based organization, doing the basement work, with a faith-based approach
- National Center on Fathers and Families – an interdisciplinary policy research center dedicated to research and practice that expands the knowledge base on father involvement and family development, and informs policy designed to improve the well-being of children
- National Center for Fathering – a nonprofit educational organization that provides research-based training and resources so that men are equipped to address their children’s needs
- American Coalition for Fathers and Children – working to assure children maintain full relationships with both their parents in the event of divorce or in cases of unmarried parentage
- View event proceedings from the Grantee and Community Roundtable: Strengthening Families using Best Practices in a Culturally Competent Way, in Little Rock, AR, on May 29, 2013.
- View event proceedings from the Grantee and Community Roundtable: Strengthening Families using Best Practices in a Culturally Competent Way, in San Antonio, TX, on April 25, 2013.
- View event proceedings from the Grantee and Community Roundtable: Strengthening Families using Best Practices in a Culturally Competent Way, in Houston, TX, on March 8, 2013.
- View event proceedings from the Grantee and Community Roundtable: Strengthening Families using Best Practices in a Culturally Competent Way, in El Paso, TX, on February 21-22, 2013.
Elma Goodwin, Responsible Fatherhood Lead