Let's Read. Let's Move.
The Corporation for National and Community Service has again implemented the summer United We Serve: Let’s Read. Let’s Move. initiative to address summer reading loss and childhood obesity by engaging youth in summer reading and physical activity. The Initiative also encourages communities to access healthy, affordable food. Activate your networks and spread the word that:
- Kids need 60 minutes of play a day to be healthy.
- Hunger does not take a break for the summer: 19 million children receive free or reduced price meals during the school year, but only 2.3 million receive summer meals.
- Reading five books during the summer prevents learning loss.
You can get involved by:
- Organizing a book drive.
- Registering your organization with First Book to obtain books for children in need.
- Encouraging a child to sign up for the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (PALA) challenge.
- Helping kids locate summer feeding sites.
For additional information including several service project toolkits visit The Corporation’s website at www.serve.gov/lrlm.asp.