How do I report photos and videos of child maltreatment and/or child sexual abuse on social media networks and other online/internet platforms?

Types: FAQ
FAQ Program Areas: Child Welfare


If you viewed disturbing images depicting child abuse on the internet, please contact your local child protective services or law enforcement agency so that professionals can assess the situation and intervene as needed. If you are able to determine the video's filming location, it is important to alert local authorities so they can respond. The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline (1.800.4.A.CHILD) offers immediate assistance. Staffed by trained counselors, Childhelp operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All calls are anonymous.

If the specific incident involves online child sexual exploitation, please call the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children CyberTipline at 1.800.843.5678. Your report will be forwarded to a law enforcement agency for investigation.

Users can also flag and report content in violation of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and/or other social media networks' community standards. All platforms provide guidance on reporting content within their application. More information may be found in the specific network's help center.

To report child sexual abuse/online victimization/exploitation in foreign countries, visit the Child Welfare Information Gateway website, a service of the Children's Bureau, for related resources.