I am concerned for a friend in my school/neighborhood who may be abused. How do I help him/her?


If you are worried that a friend may be abused or neglected, please contact Childhelp, a national organization with a 24-hour crisis hotline number (1.800.422.4453). Childhelp's staff consists of trained counselors that can listen to your concerns and connect you to the appropriate local child protection agency or other helpful services in your community. Childhelp now offers text and chat-based support for reporting suspected child abuse or neglect.

In addition, a number of toll-free youth-specific hotlines may also be able to offer support and suggestions to help your friend deal with his/her situation in a positive way. You may find some of these resources on the Stop It Now website.

Child Welfare Information Gateway, a service of the Children's Bureau, also provides the publication How You Can Help Someone Who Is Being Abused or Neglected. This tip sheet highlights information about what child abuse and neglect are and what to do if someone is not safe.

FAQ Program Areas: