My former spouse won’t let me visit with my children. What recourse do I have?

Publication Date: July 18, 2013


Custody and visitation orders are handled by the courts and enforceable by state law. If your visitation order was violated, you may wish to consult with and/or obtain the services of an attorney who is knowledgeable in family law matters in the applicable state. Your attorney should be able to help you explore your legal options and/or provide guidance on how to file a motion for contempt of court.

If assistance is needed in locating an attorney, the American Bar Association (ABA) website provides a variety of services to the general public, including the Find Legal Help webpage, which includes pro bono attorney referrals and links to court resources. The ABA features a section titled Free Legal Answers to submit questions about civil legal issue. Also, a directory of law schools that offer pro bono programs is available on the ABA website.

In addition, the National Center for State Courts provides links to State Court websites, which offer contact information, forms and relevant statutes, custody and visitation resources, procedures, paternity, frequently asked questions, and more.

Finally, there are other online resources that focus on custody and visitation issues:

Legal Match – Child Custody and Child Visitation Rights

Legal Zoom – Information about visitation rights

FAQ Program Areas:
FAQ Topics: