image Visit coronavirus.govVisit disclaimer page for the latest Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) updates.
View ACF COVID-19 Responses and Resources
< Back to Search Results

Where can I get information and financial help to open a foster or group home?

Child Welfare
Foster Care


Group homes are residences intended to serve as an alternative to family foster homes. Homes normally house 4 to 12 children in a setting that offers the potential for the full use of community resources, including employment, health care, education, and recreational opportunities.

Group homes are licensed and monitored by state departments of human services, licensing offices or bureaus, and funding for their operations may come from different sources. As licensing procedures to open and manage a group home vary from state to state, it is important to research relevant laws in the jurisdiction where the group home will be opened. Contacting the local county child welfare agency is a first good step to learn about requirements and financing options.

Child Welfare Information Gateway, a service of the Children's Bureau, Administration for Children and Families, also provides contact information for State Foster Care Program Managers and State Licensing Specialists on its website.

Last Reviewed: July 14, 2020